Swamp cooler temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewJr

Reaction score
So I have a good spot for fermentation that is around 69-70... I'd like to bring that down a little bit to hit a typical ale yeast range.. question is with that ambient temp range what can I expect the fermentation temp to be with the swamp cooler/tub method by throwing a few frozen jugs of water in on the daily? Or should I just ride with the temps I have and not worry about the tub?

I always place my fermenters in a swamp cooler for the first week plus of fermentation while switching out ice packs 2 times a day and using a fan. After the beer reaches high krausen and the activity slows down, I stop using the ice packs altogether so I can guarantee full attenuation.

definitely use the swamp cooler, the extra thermal mass keeps fermentation temperature in check.
I've used one for the past 3 years...still don't have a "proper" temperature controlled fermentation chamber, & I can easily maintain temps down to 66°f +/- 1°.

I set my fermentor in a deep tray of water with a wet towel around the fermentor and a fan. With this set up the temperature of a actively fermenting 1.052 OG wort can be held 8°F below an ambient temperature of 68°F.

With moderately higher gravity beers I will pour water on the towel a couple times a day to keep it well saturated for extra cooling.

Don't cover your strip thermometer or have the fan blowing on it. This will cool the thermometer and show an inaccurate fermentation temperature. I also add a tablespoon of bleach to the the water for slime prevention.

Maybe fill the tub enough to submerge the fermentor 1/2 way I'm guessing? Right below my temp strip?

Maybe fill the tub enough to submerge the fermentor 1/2 way I'm guessing? Right below my temp strip?

This is right. Do not submerge the strip, that will ruin it.

Rotate ice bottles as needed to keep the temperature at the desired level. Since fermentation creates heat you will change more often at the height of fermentation activity.

I would keep the water 3" to 6" from the temp strip. They don't work to well after getting moistened too often. Submerging half the fermentor in water will create a very large thermal mass to absorb heat and prevent temperature swings which can affect the performance of the yeast.

Latest posts

Back