Suspended solids in wash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coriba

Reaction score
I have a plum wine that is finished fermenting and it has loads of suspended solids on it, slow to settle out. I added some nectarine juice to it, probably why it has all those suspended solids. The suspended solids is so high it is screwing up my gravity and ABV readings.

Can I run this with such a high suspended solids load?

I have a plum wine that is finished fermenting and it has loads of suspended solids on it, slow to settle out. I added some nectarine juice to it, probably why it has all those suspended solids. The suspended solids is so high it is screwing up my gravity and ABV readings.

Can I run this with such a high suspended solids load?

Suspended solids don't affect gravity readings. What are you using to make your measurements?

I use a standard hydrometer. I expected my plum wine to finish around 1.000 but it finished at 1.012. Which apparently is normal for plum wine. What confused me, and I have since deduced, is that you can’t measure ABV in wine or beer. The scale must be calibrated to a mixture of ethanol and water. Other dissolved constituents in wine a beer interfere with ABV measurements.

You can measure ABV but not with a standard hydrometer. An alcoholometer will measure alcohol in the distilled spirits but I don't think they work at the beer/scale of ABV. By taking gravity readings before and after fermentation you can get a good approximation of ABV. Yes dissolved products will affect gravity readings but suspended solids will not.

+1 on Super Kleer. I use Bentonite at the beginning, and Super Kleer at the end and it's bottle-ready in 24-48 hours.

I've made many ferments with fruits that have pulp and fibers, my goto to filter is lining one of my fruit presses with jersey material from the fabric store. I bucket and pour my ferment in, and once it stops I fold the material over the top and press it down slowly, usually a half turn at a time so you don't force the pulp through the fabric. Little trick I learned working at a friends winery pressing down grapes that were fermented after crush.

Back