Survey: if you could do one thing over again regarding Homebrew would it be?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 555168[...]
Trippr, do you know which member this is? Hope it's alright to post his pics - it's only out of TOTAL ADMIRATION (and a touch of jealousy).

I believe his name is Kal Wallner, but I don't know if he's an HBT member nor his handle if he is.
While attributions are always appropriate I doubt he loses any beauty sleep if it goes missing on occasion...

Cheers!

The Electric Brewery is overwhelmingly amazing, aspirational to the max.
Yeah, a lottery win - or inclusion in a rich relative's last will and testament - ought to help a lot ;)

Cheers!

Oh, lordy - didn't pick up on it with your above post, wasn't aware there's a site. Yep, pretty much just fell out of the chair. Thanks for the link, trippr.

View attachment 555168

Yeah, this is a total bummer. Trippr, do you know which member this is? Hope it's alright to post his pics - it's only out of TOTAL ADMIRATION (and a touch of jealousy).

That’s Kal’s brew space. Super nice guy and he is a member on the site. He helped me out a few times with advise on hoods and fans last summer when I was building my brewery.
IMG_0129.jpg
IMG_0059.jpg
IMG_0036.jpg
IMG_0061.jpg

That’s Kal’s brew space. Super nice guy and he is a member on the site. He helped me out a few times with advise on hoods and fans last summer when I was building my brewery. View attachment 555296View attachment 555297View attachment 555298View attachment 555299

Very cool, DCP! Just saw your pic on the other thread, but thanks for sharing more here. I'd say you've put Chicago winters to shame....!

I used to brew in the back alley up around Paulina. Best memory was cooling down with my DIY IC steaming in BK. Squad car rolls by and thought I might be a rum runner, lol.

Beautiful setup, congratulations.

I would have started brewing at a younger age and never drank piss beer (Miller, bud, Coors, natural, etc..) in college.

Nearing the end of my fermentation degree, I sometimes wish I could go back and do something lucrative but tolerable and get my brewing kicks with homebrewing, and being able to afford a bunch of nice homebrew gear. On the other hand, I love working in a brewery, the only thing I don't love is not making any money.

If I could do one thing over it would be starting years earlier when I first had an interest.
Or spending the money on a nice 3v setup when I could afford one, and didn't have a wife and kids to influence my expenses.

My one regret is underestimating the amount of home brew consumption that would happen at my house. The first quality brew system I put together produced 10 finished gallons per brew cycle, which I thought would be overkill and turned out to be not enough. I ended up upgrading to produce 25 gallons per cycle and spent much more money getting there than it would have been to start with a 1BBL system.

Lesson learned, setup the right size brewhouse the first time around.

Holy hell...how many people you have consuming that? I brew 5 gallons about once a month. That leaves a short window with no beer sometimes but 25 gallons?

I think the more "mistakes" I do, the more and deeper I learn. When something goes wrong u really need to think about it, read more hbt and other valuable sources. So I wouldn't change anything.

I don't really have any regrets about how I grew as a brewer and what I'm doing today. I guess you find your way eventually, no matter what path you take to get there. Maybe I wish I would've started off with simpler recipes, started with more knowledge...my first 3 beers weren't any good, mainly because I was in the dark as to what I was doing. I didn't know about these forums yet and I had no one to teach me. Ten years later, though, I'm happy with where I'm at brewing-wise and equipment-wise. Still keeping the equipment simple, cheap, and easy, but focusing on process (low o2 methods) and trying to make the beer as best as I can while keeping everything else simple and easy.

Nice thread idea, I like the stories posted here.

Back