Supermarket Score in Southern California

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jmarsh544

Reaction score
I have been scouring Orange County in an attempt to find Malta Goya. Tonight I stopped into a mexican supermarket in costa Mesa to continue my quest. I happened to look above the produce display and to my suprise mutiple corona mills were staring back at me. I took a look at the price tag and it read $27! I have been continplating order one forever, but this made the decision a thousand times easier. I then proceed to walk to the other side of the store and I see mutiple large capacity aluminum pots with lids. The largest pot they had was 13 gallons and the price was only $26 dollars! The pots appears to be pretty sturdy. This has been by far my greatest local homebrew find to date. Just wanted to share with my fellow orang county homebrewers. (They did not have any Malta Goya, any suggestions where to find this?)

Malta Goya is horrible. Even for drinking it is horrible. I assume you are going to use it for starters? Cheaper to buy DME and make your own if that's the case. Strange you can't find it in Southern California, it's everywhere in Texas.

Congrats on the find! If only I could be so lucky... and seeing as how I live in San Antonio, I might try my luck at our local mexican food stores.

I have been scouring Orange County in an attempt to find Malta Goya. Tonight I stopped into a mexican supermarket in costa Mesa to continue my quest. I happened to look above the produce display and to my suprise mutiple corona mills were staring back at me. I took a look at the price tag and it read $27! I have been continplating order one forever, but this made the decision a thousand times easier. I then proceed to walk to the other side of the store and I see mutiple large capacity aluminum pots with lids. The largest pot they had was 13 gallons and the price was only $26 dollars! The pots appears to be pretty sturdy. This has been by far my greatest local homebrew find to date. Just wanted to share with my fellow orang county homebrewers. (They did not have any Malta Goya, any suggestions where to find this?)

dude what is the name of the store!!??

I didn't know these mills were so hard to find! Most Mexican stores I frequent in the SF Bay Area have these mill for pretty cheap. They're mostly used to grind hominy into masa for tortillas or tamales. They're all over the place...

The name of the store is el matate at placentia and 19th. Awesome store if you like Mexican food.

Nice deals!! I picked up a 28quart aluminum Tamalera for my all grain brew kettle quite a while ago, it's up to batch #44 and still going strong!

I love me an aluminimum krew brettle... no worries about, I mean you'll...not need to. you willl...

How in the hell did I get outside?
:drunk:

- Mike

13 gallon pot for 26 bucks...that might be a record. Probably kind of thin, but if you treat it w/ a bit of care it should last a long time. Nice score and happy brewing!

Latest posts

Back