Super Kleer Kieselsol Part Dried Out!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mannye

Reaction score
I have three of the 2-Part Super Kleer packets that I had forgotten about in a box and upon discovering them, the smaller of the two packets that holds the Kieselsol part has dried into what looks like thin glass.

It can probably be reconstituted with some warm distilled water, but I'm curious if this has happened to anyone else. There is no expiration date on the packages and I haven't been able to find a contact for the manufacturer to ask.

It is next to impossible to make it back to original state, I tried with hot water and a number of reheat steps and did not succeed. I think it is because it is a suspension rather than a solution.

Timely bump. I noticed yesterday that I have an old pack that has dried out. If you're around mannye, did you have any luck since your post?

Nope, it's been soaking for a week now and is still grainy. I gave up and ordered a small bottle (100ml).

Gelatin pulls out tannins. I normally use sparkolloid and a 1 micron filter. Super Kleer works great, which is why I have kept it around (too long ) as a backup.

Back