"Super" high OG from just juice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KidMoxie

Reaction score
I recently managed to pick up 5 gal of one of the last batches of fresh pressed unpasteurized apple juice from a local cider press and couldn't believe my eyes when I took a gravity reading: 1.072! Double-checked w/ both hydrometer and refractometer.

Now, the containers they were in mentioned only containing unpasteurized juice, but part of me finds it hard to believe that straight juice would contain > 50% more sugar than typical pressings. Has anyone else had pressings with so high of a gravity?

My only real concern is that they did something sneaky like adding a bunch of sugar, which would defeat my intent to have just a common cider. They'd have to list on the package if they added anything, right?

I've never personally seen juice that high, but here in NY the apples tend to be lower in brix than warmer climates. There are ciders I've had from Virginia that are 10% ABV naturally so it is possible to be in that range in California without chapetalization but that's pretty much the top limit. If you were in a cooler area, then it would be suspect.

I'm pretty new to the cider game (a few batches under my belt) and this is my first time using fresh, unpasteurized juice. I just wonder if the sugar content is higher because it's so late in the season and cold, similar to how they make eiswein.

I just wonder if the sugar content is higher because it's so late in the season and cold, similar to how they make eiswein.

The later season apples, for the most part, do have higher sugar concentrations than earlier apples simply because they have longer growing season. Since the orchard is selling the juice by the gallon it is unlikely that the apples were in any way frozen then pressed in the cryo-extraction method commonly used to make ice wines or ice ciders as it would significantly lower their juice yield.

Additionally, if the apples were picked, and stored before being pressed, some of the starches convert to sugars which can also increase the gravity. This is called 'sweating'.

as said, late apples have more sugar. but alot of your gravity points are from solids and not directly sugar. Vinometer will tell the truth later, OG with a hydrometer/refractometer will always be slightly misleading at the begining with unfiltered.

as said, late apples have more sugar. but alot of your gravity points are from solids and not directly sugar. Vinometer will tell the truth later, OG with a hydrometer/refractometer will always be slightly misleading at the begining with unfiltered.

With respect, I disagree. Solids do not effect the density of juice since, by definition, something solid is not dissolved. Anything solid in juice is displacing liquid, not increasing density.

I don't see how that could be correct with a refractometer reading.

You OG is pretty high for a cider, but not ridiculously so. My Dad ran an apple orchard when I was very young. Sometimes you just get a batch of late season apples that is really sweet. Usually those are from either last harvest, or even post harvest gleaning. They make really good apple butter. :)

Thanks for the insight, guys! I had heard that late season apples tend to have higher sugar content, but I guess I wasn't quite prepared for just how high it might be!

If all else fails, just give the local guys a call. Tell them what you are using their juice for and tell them what your readings are. They might be just as interested in finding out as you are. ;)

Latest posts

Back