Super high efficiency?!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gratefuldisc

Reaction score
just did my second AG.

11.8 lbs german 2 row,
1.25qts/lb mash @ 154*
4 gallons batch sparge,
5.25 gallons post boil, I measured 1.069 at 73* going into the fermenter.

According to Beercalculus that puts me at 90% efficiency!?! my first AG I calculated 80% I'm not complaining but it doesn't seem right... Am I doing something wrong? There was a lot of particualte in the hydrometer samples, could that be messing up my readings?

Did you use a different method of crushing your grains? That can have a big effect along with the types of grains your using.

was the LHBS's standard crush I guess, it's funny I asked him about it when I bought the grains. He said it was a "middle of the road" crush.

I calculate that at 81% efficiency, which is pretty close to what I get. What's the extract potential of German 2 row according to Beer Calculus? I used 38pppg

-a.

It defaults to 36ppg I did not change the option (don't even really know what it is). Where did you get 38? If I change it to 38, it still calculates 86%

The ppg reading is an indication of the extract yield of the malt.
If you start with 36 ppg, then 1 lb malt will yield an OG of 1.036 if made into 1g wort at 100% efficiency.
European malts usually have slightly higher extract yields than North American malts. I got 38 from Promash. 36 ppg is about right for American 2 row

Assuming 38 ppg, you have 11.8 lbs = 38 * 11.8 = 448 points.
Divide that by 5.25 g = 85 points.
1.069 at 73 degrees is 1.070 at 60. i.e. 70 points
70 / 85 = 0.82 i.e. 82% (OK I screwed up by 1% because of rounding errors)

-a.

Back