Super flocculent yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highbank

Reaction score
I'm a new brewer on my fifth extract batch which I just racked out of primary and the yeast cake looked much different than any of the previous and I'm wondering why. In all my previous batches the yeast cake was very flat and smooth, in this batch it was all clumped up. Here's a couple pics:

m9CNAAF.jpg

pKgzjIG.jpg

The yeast is wyeast 1056 (american ale) and the beer is a pale ale kit from morebeer. I made a starter two days before pitching (which I had never done previously), but I used the same yeast with no starter on my previous batch and the yeast cake was very flat. The beer that I racked off this yeast tasted great, so I don't think there are any problems here just trying to understand what causes this in the yeast.

some yeast just clumps with the trub. May repeat in the future it may not. Nothing to worry about though.

Thanks for the response. I didn't think there was anything to worry about just wondering what caused it to do that one time and not another. Yeast is a mysterious organism, I guess. :)

Back