Sun King's Sunlight Cream Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Icetaco

Reaction score
Best light beer I've ever had, but sadly can only get it near Indianapolis. So I've tried to concoct a recipe based on provided info from their website. Sez it's made from American wheat, oats, and barley. It has IBU: 20 and ABV: 5.3

So I entered the following to get the numbers correct for a 5 gallon batch:
Partial Mash cuz that's what space and equipment allow

Malt Bill
-3 # Plain Light DME
-2 # Wheat DME
-2 # Two Row
-4oz. oats
(Maybe some low number crystal malt too?)

Hops
-.5 oz 6.3AA Sterling @ 60
-.5 oz 5.5AA Cascade @ 10

-Good ole Irish moss

-Fermentis US-05

Could use input from Indy residents or fellow fans, especially on the hops.

Remember a slight citrus taste so probably some C hops in there, it was also crisp as all get out (don't know if that comes from boiling process or not), no yeasty character just a little lemony overall.

Haven't had it, but that looks like a solid recipe for a light/crisp beer to me. Crisp usually means dry, so I'd leave out the crystal (especially because extract often has a good deal of unfermentables). The US-05 is a great choice becuase it is so attenuative. I would ferment it as cool as you can to reduce the fruity esters it makes.

This beer sounds a bit like New Glarus Spotted Cow, might be worth taking a look at a clone recipe for that to give you some iudeas.

You may also want to contact the brewery, you might even talk them into letting you pick up some yeast slurry (at which point you can pepper them with some more questions).

Thanks for the advise!
I think I can get Spotted Cow around here, maybe it'll be a good substitute if my experiments aren't to par.

Contacted the brewery, they weren't helpful at all. Didn't want to divulge their "trade secrets."

Back