Summit Rye IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duckmanco

Reaction score
Anyone have any ideas for a summit rye ipa? I have 1/2 lb of Summit to use give or take, and was thinking of brewing a rye ipa, as the earthy was of rye might mesh well with the earthy summit - if summit decides to be oniony and garlicky.

I like my ipas dry 1.10-1.012 with a starting OG of about 1.058-1.060. I was thinking of scaling down Denny's rye ipa but keeping the ratio the same and using summit and some other hop listed below, as his recipe is quite proven. No matter what the recipe, what hop below would mesh well with summit? I have the following on hand:

Apollo
Amarillo
Cascade
Chinook
Warrior
Simcoe
Colombus
Centennial - trying to save this for a ruination clone, but if a good case is made, I'll consider it.

Thanks for any thoughts. After drinking Ruthless rye, rye is a grain I'd really like to brew with.

Anyone have any ideas for a summit rye ipa? I have 1/2 lb of Summit to use give or take, and was thinking of brewing a rye ipa, as the earthy was of rye might mesh well with the earthy summit - if summit decides to be oniony and garlicky.

I like my ipas dry 1.10-1.012 with a starting OG of about 1.058-1.060. I was thinking of scaling down Denny's rye ipa but keeping the ratio the same and using summit and some other hop listed below, as his recipe is quite proven. No matter what the recipe, what hop below would mesh well with summit? I have the following on hand:

Apollo
Amarillo
Cascade
Chinook
Warrior
Simcoe
Colombus
Centennial - trying to save this for a ruination clone, but if a good case is made, I'll consider it.

Thanks for any thoughts. After drinking Ruthless rye, rye is a grain I'd really like to brew with.

Great goal IMO - I like where you are going with this!

I have used Summit and most of those hops many times, and I have dabbled in Rye IPAs also. My recommendation would be bittering with Columbus, and use Summit as your backbone, supplemented with Cascade and Amarillo as accents. I have found Amarillo 'rounds' out summit just a little bit, while cascade keeps everything reinforced with a citrus note.

For schedule, I always go heavy at the end - 15, 7 and 1 min additions is my schedule - usually.

For proportions, I would advocate something like:

Dryhop with 1 oz Summit and .5 Oz Cascade .5 Oz Amarillo
1 Oz Summit 1 min
.5 Oz Cascade 1 min
1 Oz Summit 7 Min
.5 Oz Cascade 7 min
1 Oz Amarillo 7 Min

A bunch of Summit and Amarillo at 15 min to make up to close your target IBU
Enough Columbus at FWH stage to get your target IBU.

All the above assuming you use brewing software.

I am thinking that will get you a badass beer.

^^^ thanks for the reply, I really think this could be a pretty good start to an interesting recipe. I'm thinking I'll bitter with Summit, and then do Summit/Amarillo additions from 25-10 and then a 45 minute steep of just Amarillo. I'm aiming to boil the summits and not dry hop them to hopefully avoid the dreaded onion notes I've found in dry hopping them. Much appreciated input on the Amarillo rounding out the summit, that's what I wanted to know.

Any input on ways to dry out Denny's rye IPA recipe somewhat? I'm thinking low-ish mash temp and 5% corn sugar to the boil?

Back