Rye Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thefigure5

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
RYE PORTER!

3.5 gallon batch - 7.5 lbs. malt

4.0 gallon pre-boil
3.5 gallon post-boil and cooling
OG (post-boil) = 1.058
FG (at bottling) = 1.016
ABV = 5.49%

Grain:
63% pale ale malt - 4.75 lbs.
17% rye malt - 1.25 lbs.
6.7% chocolate malt - 0.50 lbs.
3.3% black patent - 0.25 lbs.
6.7% caramel 60 - 0.50 lbs.
3.3% Special B - 0.25 lbs.

Hops:
1/3 oz. Challenger hops at :60
2/3 oz. Cascade hops at :15
2/3 oz. Cascade hops at :5
Dry hop with 2/3 oz. Cascade hops (at transfer to secondary)

Yeast:
1 packet US-05

Water: 100% Tucson water, a bit more than 5-gallons, 2.5-gallons were used as strike water, and the rest was heated for the sparge.

I started with the optional protein rest at 122˚F for 20 minutes, then raised the mash temperature to 152˚F and held it there for 60 minutes before raising the temperature to 168˚F for mash out. I sparged with enough water at 168˚F to collect about 4.0 gallons of wort, brought that to a boil and boiled for 60 minutes, adding hops according to schedule above. I chilled the wort and transferred it to a clean, sanitized fermenter, pitching the yeast when the wort was at 70˚F or below. It fermented at 68˚F until complete.

This recipe is a combination of a couple of recipes and a suggested grain bill I found on homebrewtalk.com. I sampled the beer when transferring to the secondary fermenter, and dry-hopped because it tasted too sweet to me. The beer was well balanced and really good in my opinion, if a bit unremarkable. If I can recreate this recipe, I might try increasing the percentage of rye malt in the grain bill.

I brewed a rye porter several years ago.
3.25 gallons, OG 1.053, FG 1.022, 30 IBUs (+-), 32 SRM
3.75 pale ale malt
1.25 rye malt
12 ozs. British brown malt
12 ozs chocolate rye malt
8 ozs datasheet malt
2 ozs pale chocolate malt
7/8 oz home grown Goldings
1/4 oz h g Goldings
S-33
1 teaspoon caraway seeds.
It was really good.

This looks like a good rye porter, I think I'll try it soon. @Steveruch, What's "datasheet malt"? Is this a new one I've not heard of (quite possible) or some sort of transcription error? Search engines don't help with this one.

This looks like a good rye porter, I think I'll try it soon. @Steveruch, What's "datasheet malt"? Is this a new one I've not heard of (quite possible) or some sort of transcription error? Search engines don't help with this one.
I think that should be carawheat malt. I'll have to check my recipe file tomorrow and see for sure. Its been five years since I lived where I was able to grow hops.
Sometimes there's no rhyme or reason to my autocorrect.

Back