Summit &/or Crystal &/or Willamette IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pyro

Reaction score
With the hop shortage and all, I'm trying not to deplete my reserves of the more "popular" hops in my freezer (ie. Cascade, Centennial, Amarillo, Chinook, etc.), but I would like to make a good IPA. Thanks to freshops I have a generous amount of Summit, Crystal & Willamette. I've used Summit in an IPA recipe before, but never Crystal or Willamette. Would anyone like to share a partial mash recipe along these lines? If not, I'll just experiment as always. My basic IPA recipe normally uses crystal 20, victory and biscuit. Thanks.

Someone on the board (Biermuncher I believe?) has a good Summit IPA recipe...

Not sure on Crystal &/or Willamette, but they seem to be pretty mild, low IBU hops, no? If so, you might be able to do some sort of English-style IPA, but it might require a good bit of hops (@5%ish) to get the IBU's up?

I think it could be pretty delicious if you bittered with Summit and then mixed Summit and Willamette for the flavor and aroma.

I've got a summit/crystal pale ale that I just racked to the secondary.....The hydrometer sample was very tasty! I'm sure it'll be even better when properly chilled and carbonated too. If you're interested, I can post the recipe, but you'd have to up the OG and IBU's to make it an IPA....:mug:

count barleywine said:
Willamettte is a delicious flavor hop. Love it

Agreed, and it just so happens that Crystal is one of my favorites in a pale ale as well. I dont know if it has the "smack you in the face" aroma and flavor you would be looking for in an IPA, but I know that I love it in a generic pale ale.

Willamette has a great, spicy flavor to it..my last IPA was Northern Brewer for bittering, Willamette for flavor/aroma, and a cascade/simcoe dry hop. The taste was extactly what i wanted...crisp, spicy bitterness that trailed off in the finish, letting the malt seep through.

I have another IPA in the primary right now, and i flavored with Willamette again.

So i guess, uh, +1 for Will.

Edit: Willamette aroma by itself, though, might not be enough for the IPA you're looking for. Try dry hopping with it too.

Latest posts

Back