Summer Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WOP31

Reaction score
Here is a Saison recipe that I have been working on. I am trying base it slightly off of Upland Brewery's Saison (if any of you have had it). I talk to on guy at the brewery and he said that they use white pepper and anise, but couldn't remember what else, I tried to talk to the head brewer but he was busy and I will have to catch him in the next couple of days if I can.

Here is what I have so far, feel free to help me fill in the blanks and to sugest other ingredients, I am planning on making this on Sat Jun 23, once I do I will post the final recipe in the data base.

Beer: Saison 2 Style:
Type: All grain Size: 10.5G
Color: 11 HCU (~8 SRM)

Bitterness: 26IBU
OG: 1.072 FG: 1.010
Alcohol: 8.0% v/v (6.3% w/w)

Grain:
3 lb. Wheat malt
3 lb. Belgian Munich
1 lb. Belgian biscuit
2 lb. Spelt (for that extra something)
14 lb. British pale (Maris Otter)
1 lb. German Vienna
0 lb. 8 oz. Belgian aromatic
1 lb. American crystal 10L

Boil: 90 Min
Mash: single infusion.
Final: Mash at 154-158 for 100 min ___________
Batch sparge at 170F, 6.5 gal volume (approx). 120 minutes

Hops:
1 oz. Styrian Goldings (5.5% AA, 60 min.)
1 oz. Saaz (3.75% AA, 30 min.)
1 oz. Styrian Goldings (5.5% AA, 30 min.)
1 oz. Saaz (3.75% AA, 15 min.)
1 oz. Styrian Goldings (5.5% AA, 15 min.)
1 oz. Saaz (aroma)

1 lb. 0 oz. Indian Light Jaggery sugar

Last 15 minutes of boil,

Add __________oz Black Malabar or __________pepper(White?) (ground)
Add zest of 1.5 large Navel oranges.
Add zest of 1 small grapefruit.
Add __________oz of fine Indian Coriander (ground)
Add___________oz of fine Indian Fennel
Add___________oz of grains of Paradise(ground)
Add ___________oz of Anise

Yeast:
Wyeast 3726 Farmhouse Ale Yeast.

Fermentation:
The warmer, the better. Any temp in the range of 72 to 95 is fair game, with a Belgian. Or you can do a room temperature gig:
1) Primary fermentation in glass or SS at 72-80F for 7 - 14 days.
2) Secondary fermentation in glass at 72-80F for 10 days
3) Give it a month or two of room temperature lagering to smooth out the flavors.

Thanks for the help
Cheers

When I read Saison in the title first thing I thought was: Man, Upland's Saison sure is a unique tasting brew! One of my friends always says it taste like the brewer just took a handful of everything and tossed it in! Pallet overload. ;) I personally enjoy it, but only in small quantities and usually with a nice bowl of chili.

Wop, are you a local Bloomington peep like myself? I didn't know there were any around on this board.

As for myself, I don't have any insight into the actual recipe since I just got into home brewing

Shameless Bump

Anyone out there brew a sasion before?

Cheers

Disclaimer: I've never brewed a Saison.

That said, I think you'll have a hard time getting it down to 1.010 if you mash at 154-158, even with the added sugar. I'd think you'd want to mash closer to 150-152.

Bike-N-Brew is right, you should really think about mashing in the lower range to get the full monte out of this.

You do know there's a Saison yeast from White Labs, right? The farmhouse ale is probably just fine as well, but the Saison yeast gives some good flavor enhancements (used in 2 of my Saisons, the 3rd was from culture of another Microbrewery saison bottle).

I used .5oz coriander seed in my 5.5 gallon recipe. Err on the side of caution, less is always better than more.

I didn't use any of the other spices, although I did do .5 oz of black pepper in one of my batches. It was ok, but could have easily used less for the same effect.

I'd be concerned using too many spices as they'll take over the brew. The citrus will really bring out the spices and might be too much. I'd think about making 2 smaller batches just to test so you don't have 10-11 gallons of overspiced nonsense.

I used Pils as my base malt. Not sure how well the marris otter is going to turn out, but in my IPA I could really taste the difference in adding the m. o. to the recipe - not sure if that's really going to taste all that good.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Thanks for the tips jezter, I forgot to mention that I am going to convert this down to 5 gal. Keep them coming I am still working on this one.

Brewed a saison over the weekend. All in all the brewday was a success, I have full carboy that is happily fermenting away in my garge. The recipe is in the DB if anyone is interested. thanks for the help.

Cheers

I'll be interested once you let us know how it turns out. My saison citron, based loosely on the recipe here on HBT, is too citrusy now so I'm waiting for it to mellow(still great though). But I really want to brew a 'normal' saison, so I may try your recipe, I like the spice/etc. additions - looks good.

Whoah, thatsah spicey meatuhballuh!

FYI: Star Anise will quickly take over a beer, rape and murder all of its citizens, and declare itself lord of the land. I don't know what form yours was in (crushed or whole pods), but I've almost ruined a beer before with about 3 star pods.

A whole tsp of paradise seeds is gonna make that mf'er peppery as hell, too.

All in all, I'd say that this is gonna be more of a spiced specialty beer than a saison, but what do I know...I've never brewed a saison before. hehe. Good luck, bruh.

What is jaggery sugar, anyway? Never heard of it before.

Jaggery - "flavor is delicate but complex, buttery nutty, fuity aspects....creaminess similar to maple, palm sugar can simultaneously soften and add dryness to a beer. " - Radical Brewing

Evan! said:
Whoah, thatsah spicey meatuhballuh!
FYI: Star Anise will quickly take over a beer, rape and murder all of its citizens, and declare itself lord of the land. I don't know what form yours was in (crushed or whole pods), but I've almost ruined a beer before with about 3 star pods.

How long did you add the pods for? I find anise flavor(at least from whole pods, my only experience has been using whole pods) to fade more quickly than many other flavors. I only used 2 pods in primary, it was too strong at racking time, but 1 month later it had mellowed/blended well. Of course, 3 is 50% more than 2, so 3 may have been too much in mine as well.

Thanks for posting about the jaggery sugar Landhoney. I think that it will make a great addition to this beer, to help it dry out a little. It tasted great when I took a sample of it. I have never used it before, but you could really taste it in the gravity sample, it seemed to give a slightly thicker mouth feel also. but that is also unfermented wort too, so we will see how it goes.

As far as the anise goes I just crushed one star and then measured a C*nt hair less than one teaspoon. I was sort of hoping that the grains of paradice and the corriander would make it peppery, thats why I put them in there. IMO the corriander and cardamom had a stronger aroma and flavor to them then the paradise seeds did. I don't know if they were just old or what. I will definatly keep updates coming, i looking at this one being finished around mid Aug.

Cheers

Back