Summer Harvest Wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bk0

Reaction score
I wanted to share my recipe for what I call summers Harvest Wine, using local summer fruits from the northeast.

Ingredients (1 gallon):
1lb locally grown strawberries
11oz wild red and black raspberries (thought it was a full pound when I was picking them)
1qt organic concord grape juice.
2lb sugar
2tsp pectic enzyme
Montrachet wine yeast
OG: 1.112

Froze and thawed the strawberries. Using a slotted spoon in a large bowl I mashed the thawed strawberries and raspberries into a paste. Added 1lb of sugar.

I brought about 2/3 gallon of water to a boil and poured it over the fruit and sugar mixture. Mixed well.

Transferred the entire mixture to a clean sanitized carboy. Dissolved the remaining pound of sugar in the minimum amount of water possible, brought it to a boil and added to the carboy. Mixed well.

Added airlock and let stand for several hours until it was room temperature. Added 2 tsp pectic enzyme. Shook carboy to mix. Let stand overnight.

Added yeast the next day.

Will let ferment for two weeks or so and rack as needed.

I am a relative new boy on the block but your recipe sounds to me to be very meager by way of fruit and flavor. I would think you need to use about 4 or 5 lbs of fruit per gallon to produce enough flavor. Strawberries are very "thin" when it comes to flavor. Of course, if you have made this recipe before and it was rich enough for your taste then ignore my comments but when I have made mixed berry wine I have used about 5 lbs of berries per gallon...

Latest posts

Back