Suggestions on vessel sizes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HBC

Reaction score
Curious to see input on vessel sizes. I have the option of buying all vessel sizes equal in size, or two-the same size and one about 3/4 size. I am looking at at 24-gallon vessel size and a 17.5 gallon option. My focus is to have the option of doing 20-gallon batches (25% of the time).. meaning the 24-gallon is probably ideal for a BK with a little headroom for boil over and boil down.

I just checked with an online calculator, and a common recipe that I do with a 1.060 OG calls for 40lbs or so of grain, which with strike water puts me at the 17-gallon necessity for basic conversion.

Therefore, would you do 2 of the 24-gallon vessels (HLT, BK) and one of the 17.5gallon for MT or all 3 the same?

I think you'll definitely be happier if you stick to the same size in the long run. 17 gal in a 17.5 gal vessel will be very tight. Also, i generally start with 6.5 to 7 gallons for the boil for a 5.5 gallon batch. So, for a 20 gallon batch you would have to start with 24 - 28 gallons. Boil off is one concern and i would estimate .8 gallons for shrinkage from boiling as well. Basically you'd need 20.8 gallons of boiling wort to chill to 20 gal. ( from my experience anyway).
Hope this helps
Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

For the most part I've seen one larger and that's the HLT. Sometime the MLT.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I would def. go with all three the same size, but if you wanted to go with one smaller make the HLT the smaller vessel.

Back