Suggestions on Dry hopping and Cognac Oaking schedule

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akidd17

Reaction score
Hi, I wanted to get some thoughts on when to dry hop vs. when to add some oak chips to my Copperhead recipe. The original recipe said to dry hop after 7 days of initial fermentation. But when at the LHBS, I saw some cognac oak chips and thought to myself "Hmm what the hell, why not?". So my question is, should I add the oak chips first and then dry hop to maintain the freshness of the hop aroma? Or just dry hop then add chips until I'm happy with the oak character?

This is the original recipe converted to Extract using LMDE. http://www.eckraus.com/blog/hoppy-red-ale-beer-recipe

Thanks in advance!

"Hmm what the hell, why not?"

I can definitely sympathize with this. However, based on the recipe, I think you might have the most success by adding the dry hops first and adding the oak chips never.

My reasoning is that you've got a lot of flavor, aroma, and dry hops in this recipe that you will want to enjoy fresh. It takes time for the goodness of oak chips to develop and come into balance with a beer. By the time your Cognac oak chips start to make a positive impact on the beer they'll be fighting oxidized hop aromas and that will probably hurt the overall impression.

If you still feel compelled to go through with it, dry hop after you've got the oak/cognac character you're looking for.

My reasoning is that you've got a lot of flavor, aroma, and dry hops in this recipe that you will want to enjoy fresh. It takes time for the goodness of oak chips to develop and come into balance with a beer. By the time your Cognac oak chips start to make a positive impact on the beer they'll be fighting oxidized hop aromas and that will probably hurt the overall impression.

I have never used chips myself, but I understand chips give up their goodness within about a week. If that is the case, I'd add them with the dry hops.

I use cut up oak staves, and soak them in bourbon for 6 months ..... and add the bourbon for the first use, refresh the bourbon for a few months, and then add both the staves and the bourbon for the second use.

I use cut up oak staves, and soak them in bourbon for 6 months ..... and add the bourbon for the first use, refresh the bourbon for a few months, and then add both the staves and the bourbon for the second use.

How are you cutting up your staves? I have some and tried whittling some shavings but that was pretty time consuming

Thanks for your responses everyone. I think cladinshadows convinced me to omit them this time. After reading on some other threads, with the aroma and flavor profile I'm going for, I'm just going to dry hop. However, I think I'll make this recipe a second time and then oak and dry hop to see what happens.

Prost!

How are you cutting up your staves? I have some and tried whittling some shavings but that was pretty time consuming

Clamp it and use a hand-held reciprocating saw. The curve in the stave makes it a little difficult to clamp tight, but I've struggled through. I don't need to do too many at a time, just enough cut to about 4 inches by half in wide that can fit in a wide-mouthed quart mason jar. Takes about 8 ozs to cover them, but then they absorb some of the liquor, so need to top-up.

I sometimes scrape a couple of vanilla beans and put that in there with the wood and bourbon.

Back