Suggestions for simple wheat ale recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cro Magnon

Reaction score
Been shuttling between Belgian blonde and an American wheat...not sure I know the difference - Belgian blonde uses unmalted wheat while American uses malted? Anyway I have wheat malt so thought I'd go with a simple Belgian Pale Ale 60% and Wheat malt 40%. Is this too high for malted wheat? Can I add some Crystal 55? Also can I use US-04? Any suggestions for a simple combo of pale malt and wheat malt? Thought i'd go with cascade for low IBUS but not sure about hopping schedule..

Been shuttling between Belgian blonde and an American wheat...not sure I know the difference - Belgian blonde uses unmalted wheat while American uses malted? Anyway I have wheat malt so thought I'd go with a simple Belgian Pale Ale 60% and Wheat malt 40%. Is this too high for malted wheat? Can I add some Crystal 55? Also can I use US-04? Any suggestions for a simple combo of pale malt and wheat malt? Thought i'd go with cascade for low IBUS but not sure about hopping schedule..

50/50 or 60/40 in either direction will work for what you're looking for.

cascade is good for wheats but any C hop with citrus flavors will be a nice addition. I recently did a wheat with all NZ hops just waiting for it to carb up but the samples have been delicious!

Wheat has no hull and becomes sticky in the mash so be prepared to add rice hulls or brew in a bag so you don't get a stuck mash or sparge. The higher the percentage of wheat the more chance of the mash sticking. You certainly can add Crystal 55. This may not fit the category if you are entering it into competition but should taste good. I often stray from recipes to get the beer flavor I want.

S04 does not ferment out as much as some other strains so your beer may end up too sweet, especially if you add the C 55. I'd probably go with US05 or Nottingham if you are sticking with dry yeast.

Thanks Hoppy and Sammy! The late addition hops def makes sense for lower IBUS...thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately all I have on hand is cascade, EKG and magnum (too strong for this I assume).

@RM-MN Luckily I'm brewing in a bag, so I guess I don't have to worry about stuck sparge? This is just for home consumption, not for competition. Interested to know what category would this fall under if I go with a simple 60-40. And if like you said, it may be too sweet, I can perhaps cut out the crystal? If US 04 doesn't work I have fermoale AY 3 and Belgium Abbey. Any idea if either of these would work better? Thanks for all the great advice!

I like this style, but haven't brewed it for about five years LOL. Last time I did, it won a bronze medal at a competition in Kentucky. I used 4 lbs Wheat Malt, 2.75 lbs Pale Malt and 2 lbs Munich Malt, mashed at 148F. Went with 0.5 oz Horizon hops (11.5%) 60 minutes and 0.5 oz East Kent Goldings hops (5.5%) 10 minutes. Fermented with Scottish yeast.

I like this style, but haven't brewed it for about five years LOL. Last time I did, it won a bronze medal at a competition in Kentucky. I used 4 lbs Wheat Malt, 2.75 lbs Pale Malt and 2 lbs Munich Malt, mashed at 148F. Went with 0.5 oz Horizon hops (11.5%) 60 minutes and 0.5 oz East Kent Goldings hops (5.5%) 10 minutes. Fermented with Scottish yeast.
Haha that's cool! Thanks for the recipe share....I might get some Munich malt and try it out. Good to know I can use EKG as well!

Been shuttling between Belgian blonde and an American wheat...not sure I know the difference - Belgian blonde uses unmalted wheat while American uses malted?

They're completely different to drink. For a start, Belgian blondes are much higher alcohol. The biggest difference though is the yeast - Belgian yeasts are quite distinctive. To me, a Belgian blonde has a sweet richness that combines with the yeast derived flavours, where an American wheat is refreshing and light with a hint of subtle hefe flavour. The use of wheat is really the only similarity. Yeast choice will be the biggest factor IMO. S04 will probably end up drinking more like a British summer ale, which is different again (and quite tasty).

My standard American Wheat (used just as a wheat beer, or, IMO, has been an excellent base for Cherry Wheat, Mango Wheat and Blood Orange Wheat (went way too quickly at Christmas)).

Wheat malt (44%)
2 Row malt (38.5%)
Rice Hulls (11%)
Munich Malt I (light) (6.6%)
Hallerateur (10 IBUs at 60 minutes)
Saaz (3.8 IBUs at 20 minutes)
Hallerateur (3 IBUs at 10 minutes)
Yeast: US-05 or Wyeast 1056.

Mash at 152F until conversion.

Chill into the low 60's. Pitch yeast.

Carbonate at 2.5 volumes of CO2.

@Gnomebrewer Thanks a lot for the explanation! Makes sense now. So I guess without the right yeast you can't really make it Belgian. That being said, I have Belgian Abbey yeast.....if I use the same grain bill and just use this yeast, does it then become Belgian? :p

My standard American Wheat (used just as a wheat beer, or, IMO, has been an excellent base for Cherry Wheat, Mango Wheat and Blood Orange Wheat (went way too quickly at Christmas)).

Wheat malt (44%)
2 Row malt (38.5%)
Rice Hulls (11%)
Munich Malt I (light) (6.6%)
Hallerateur (10 IBUs at 60 minutes)
Saaz (3.8 IBUs at 20 minutes)
Hallerateur (3 IBUs at 10 minutes)
Yeast: US-05 or Wyeast 1056.

Mash at 152F until conversion.

Chill into the low 60's. Pitch yeast.

Carbonate at 2.5 volumes of CO2.
Nice recipe! And blood orange/mango/cherry wheat? Sounds delish. It's mango season here so that's a tempting prospect. Interested to know how you use the fruit ( boil/ late stage in fermenter etc?)

Been shuttling between Belgian blonde and an American wheat...not sure I know the difference - Belgian blonde uses unmalted wheat while American uses malted?

Coming late to this thread, but FWIW, I think maybe you mean Belgian Witbier rather than Belgian Blond. Belgian Witbiers do typically use unmalted wheat. Belgian Blonds aren't known for using wheat of any kind. (Not saying it's never been done, just that it's not typical.)

Nice recipe! And blood orange/mango/cherry wheat? Sounds delish. It's mango season here so that's a tempting prospect. Interested to know how you use the fruit ( boil/ late stage in fermenter etc?)

Sorry, but not mixed together all at the same time. Individually, I've used the base wheat to make a Cherry Wheat, then another time to make a Mango Wheat (on tap now) and another time to make a Blood Orange Wheat.

I like the Vinter's puree. All the work is already done for me. However, if I had fresh fruit I'd freeze it, puree it and add it to the secondary.

@Gnomebrewer Thanks a lot for the explanation! Makes sense now. So I guess without the right yeast you can't really make it Belgian. That being said, I have Belgian Abbey yeast.....if I use the same grain bill and just use this yeast, does it then become Belgian? :p

Pretty much, yes, but not entirely. Some factors that distinguish Belgian styles is that they:
  1. tend to be fully attenuated, dry, which enhances their drinkability, often using sugars to help dry out the beers
  2. are usually effervescent, bubbly
  3. have fermentation-derived flavors, from Belgian yeast - fruity esters or spicy phenols or both in some kind of combination

I'm going to throw something totally different out there. Just brewed an AW
50% Mecca Lamomta
50% White wheat malt
Hopped with Loral
Fermented at ale temp 68F with Imperial Harvest. 34/70 would be great too.
Just tapped. What a great clean easy drinking beer. It would be a perfect base for added flavorings.

I'm going to throw something totally different out there. Just brewed an AW
50% Mecca Lamomta
50% White wheat malt
Hopped with Loral
Fermented at ale temp 68F with Imperial Harvest. 34/70 would be great too.
Just tapped. What a great clean easy drinking beer. It would be a perfect base for added flavorings.

I'm surprised you are getting 'clean' with a lager yeast fermented at 68F, but if it works for you, that's great. You also made me look up Mecca Lamomta, which I was unfamiliar with - very interesting, thanks!

My wheat recipe I've done many times with a few slight variations, but it is very simple:

About 5lb 2 row, 4.5lb white wheat malt, .5lb carapils
1oz Tettnag at 60.
WB-06.

I've messed around with high ferm temps, underpitching, not oxygenating (even when pitching a liquid starter). My opinion, it is best with a healthy pitch and oxygenated, and fermented at around 70. Seems to go against a lot of common wisdom, but there is no accounting for taste. It also finishes pretty dry that way, which is what I think is the real key.

I've got some Middlefruh and Saaz on hand now, and was thinking about mixing up the hops for the first time with some of that.

I'm surprised you are getting 'clean' with a lager yeast fermented at 68F, but if it works for you, that's great. You also made me look up Mecca Lamomta, which I was unfamiliar with - very interesting, thanks!
Warm fermenting lagers works great. A quick google will give you more examples

Warm fermenting lagers works great. A quick google will give you more examples
Wait you can warm ferment lagers? So I can brew a lager and ferment it in my closet just like an ale? What about the actual lagering?

Wait you can warm ferment lagers? So I can brew a lager and ferment it in my closet just like an ale? What about the actual lagering?

A few strains of lager yeast work well with warm fermenting, many don't. Warm fermented lagers taste different to traditional lagers, but can still be clean and crisp. They're still be better with a 'lagering' period (cold storage), but are quite OK without it. I prefer a cool fermented lager with a strain that works better at cooler temperatures.

Back