Suggestion for Hops Variety for IPA Dry Hop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kanjam24

Reaction score
Note: This isn't a super pressing question. I could easily just use more Cascade, Willamette, or Tettnanger but I thought I'd throw the topic out there for suggestions...

I just finished the following recipe, and it's been in the primary for 11 days now. Fermentation finished a couple days ago, SG is at 1.010 and I'm about to switch to the secondary and add some hops. I was hoping to get a suggestion for what variety to use.

Here's the recipe, it was loosely a Lagunitas IPA clone but I edited everything slightly based on what I had on hand and what the LHBS had available:

~6 lbs DME
1lb 2-row pale malt
.5 lbs dextrine malt
.25 lbs crystal malt (60 L)
.25 lbs Munich malt (4 L)​

90 minute boil from start to finish, malts for the first 45 minutes, then:

1 oz Tettnanger w/ 45 minutes left
1 oz Cascade w/ 40
0.5 oz Willamette w/ 30​

And finally:

1 oz Tettnanger @ 0 minutes left
1 oz Cascade @ 0
0.5 oz Willamette @ 0​

Batch had Wyeast 1056 added and here I am today.

Today is day 11 since primary started, and I have to leave the secondary for at least 12 days while I'm out of town, so I'm interested to know if different hops might be better for a secondary that long. Also, the end result will be bottled, not kegged.

Thanks in advance, I'm curious to hear some different opinions.

I am new so keep that in mind. I havent seen a recipe call for dry hopping that long. I'd leave it primary until I got back from outta town and then transfer and dry hop.

Its up to you really, from memory the maximum recommended is 2 weeks with no extra gain after 10. If you are able to transfer just before you go then bottle as soon as you get back so as far as that goes I see no problem. Personally I would use the same hop/s I used in the original brew because I like to get a better understanding of the hops flavours and how they merge but that's just me

Cascade is great for dry hopping. I would just stick with what you have been doing and it should be great. Dry hopping for the 12 days should not be a problem, I am almost positive that I just read a post were Revvy (the holy one) dry hops for 14 days. I usually go for 1-2 weeks.
Not to be a stickler... but did I read correctly when you said you boiled the malts for 45 min? or did you do a mash for the first 45 then boil? Other than that, it sounds like you have a winner.

Cascade is great for dry hopping. I would just stick with what you have been doing and it should be great. Dry hopping for the 12 days should not be a problem, I am almost positive that I just read a post were Revvy (the holy one) dry hops for 14 days. I usually go for 1-2 weeks.

Not to be a stickler... but did I read correctly when you said you boiled the malts for 45 min? or did you do a mash for the first 45 then boil? Other than that, it sounds like you have a winner.

Yeah, this post by Revvy gave me a little more confidence in leaving the secondary for more than a few days:

I did an IPA recently and the recipe required dryhopping, so I waited two weeks to make sure fermentation was complete (I checked with my hydrometer and it was) then I racked it to secondary with my dryhopping hops (1 ounce of cascade) and left in there for another two weeks before bottling.

And the beer is tasty.

As far as the malts, let me clarify: I dumped all the DME in at the start and then steeped the rest of the grains for 45 minutes before draining and removing the sack. And I didn't "boil" per se, I mashed at 154 F for 45 minutes, then continued the hops session for 45 minutes after that. Total of 90 minutes on the burner start to finish, aside from letting it cool down 15 minutes for the 0 minute hops.

Pommy's point to use the same hops to continue getting an idea of their flavor is probably a good idea, and gosh knows Cascade are easy to come by... Now I just need to choose full cones or pellets.

Latest posts

Back