Suggest A Hop Schedule

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agroff383

Reaction score
Hey guys I acquired a lot of hops and I want to use them soon, I would like to make a 1.075-ish IPA, well a dark IPA really.

I want to do it with a mini mash, maybe about 4 lbs of grain, and about 6 pounds of dry malt extract and I want to know a good hopping schedule. This is what I have.

3 oz Palisade 7.4% AA
2 oz Columbus 13.5% AA
1 oz Columbus 16.1% AA
1 oz Galena 13.1% AA
7 oz Nugget 11.6% AA
and about 10 oz of Chinook 12.0% AA

I bought these in a lot off eBay and some of them have lost their vacuum seal, the guy said they were 2007 crop, did I get bad hops? I just figured they wouldn't be as potent, but I am not sure. I paid around $1 an oz so I figured it was worth a shot.

I just want to use as many of these as possible so they don't go to waste and I want to make a wicked IPA. Thanks everyone!

so they are 2 year old hops. im no expert here so take that into account.... but i would say they hops are a shade past their prime. i would toss the ones that loss their vacuum seal. are they rest still green? if not toss them. do they still smell fresh? if not toss them. can you smell the hops through the bags they are in? if so toss them.

yea. . . sounds pretty old for the price -- you should check out HOPSDIRECT.com. They have PLENTY of hops that will come out to LESS than $1/lb even after shipping to PA, and there's no way anything they sell you is over a year old. Only catch is you have to buy a whole pound of each variety you get.

Anyway, and I'm also no expert, but I think they ought to still be *technically* usable -- but you'll have to assume they've lost about 35(vacuum sealed) to 60(lost vacuum)% of their alpha acid content, which leaves a LOT of room for error!!! You don't know whether to use about 1.5X or 2.5X as much as calculated with the printed AA% -- quite a difference

Latest posts

Back