Substitution for Caramunich I?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BongoYodeler

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've scaled a Coffee Amber recipe that calls for 12 oz. of Caramunich I, but my LHBS only stocks Caramunich II. So I'm considering going with 8 oz. of Caramunich II and 4 oz. of Crystal 10 as a substitute. Since 12 oz. is only 5.8% of the grain bill it would seem to me that makes a reasonable substitution unless there is something else that makes more sense?

you can't "blend" crystal to make something. doesn't work that way. although I have done this...before knowing more.

Not saying it won't work out and taste fine.

but different crystals have different flavors. It's not more or less of the same flavor.

that's my understanding.

caramunich 1 is like c-30 crystal I think. or there abouts. It's just wyermann's "trade name" for light crystal.

you can't "blend" crystal to make something. doesn't work that way. although I have done this...before knowing more.

Not saying it won't work out and taste fine.

but different crystals have different flavors. It's not more or less of the same flavor.

that's my understanding.

caramunich 1 is like c-30 crystal I think. or there abouts. It's just wyermann's "trade name" for light crystal.
Thanks for the info.

Looks like Briess Crystal 30 is the correct substitution for Weyermann Caramunich I. Wouldn't you know it my LHBS carries crystal 10, 20, and 40 but not 30. I think in that case I may just roll the dice with Caramunich II. Since it's a coffee amber the slightly darker and roastier characteristics of Caramunich II should still fit......hopefully.

Not surprising. When I started brewing my most local store (and the largest in New England) carried at least 100 different specialty grains in bins including every grade of crystal and caramel available via BSG. As the years went by and the market shrunk they dialed back the carriage and went with "every other" step, then a year later went with "every fourth"...and finally went out of business. I was still brewing styles that actually use crystal and was adjusting recipes in reaction to the thinning availability never knowing what they had dropped until I showed up in the store.

Good times ;)

Cheers!

Wouldn't you know it my LHBS carries crystal 10, 20, and 40 but not 30.
just go with 20 or 40. I'd pick the 40. Or even 50/50 since they are soo close.

but you can't mix C-30 and C-120 and expect it to be anything like C-75.

crystal/caramel malts range from 10 up to 165. Kinda hard to justify carrying every possible one unless there is a huge local homebrewing customer base.

There are no substitutions for a defined crystal type. You either use exactly that one, or your beer will taste different.

Doesn't have to be bad though.

There are no substitutions for a defined crystal type. You either use exactly that one, or your beer will taste different.

Doesn't have to be bad though.
true.

But in the OP's case...using 20 or 40 instead of 30...it will probably be close enough. taste difference would be minimal IMO.

I probably couldn't taste the difference 🤷‍♂️

true.

But in the OP's case...using 20 or 40 instead of 30...it will probably be close enough. taste difference would be minimal IMO.

I probably couldn't taste the difference 🤷‍♂️
First, thanks everybody for your comments, I truly appreciate the assist.
This all reminds me of picking out paint colors.....well kind of. ;)

Last edited:
Back