substituting DME with liquid malt extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

S_carve

Reaction score
I was going to start a couple of batches i got from a local brew shop and was going over the recipe and found somethings missing. I have a Labatt Blue clone and a Trout river Rainbow Red clone. These were both copied out of Brew Your Own magazine. I had called ahead and had them setup these kits for me and he gave me a copy of both, which crossed out and added some of his own numbers.

On both they ask for both DME and LME, wherever it asked for Dried malt extract he crossed out the .75lbs and wrote in 3.3 both recipes also ask for 3.3lbs of Liquid MAlt extract. I received a total of 4, 3.3lbs, containers of LME. So I know 2 will be used but where I have to replace the DME with LME do i use the same weight of .75lbs or do I another FULL container to replace the DME

Basically the question is it OK to replace DME with Lme of the same weight?

The shop closed at 3 and i was supposed to brew tommorow and i already smacked open the yeast packs

thanks for the quick reply i am going to start brewing soon and have made all th adjustments

now i understand the differences between LME and DME as far as ease of use and shelf life but, my next question would be why use both in a recipe if they end up with the same results?

S_carve said:
thanks for the quick reply i am going to start brewing soon and have made all th adjustments

now i understand the differences between LME and DME as far as ease of use and shelf life but, my next question would be why use both in a recipe if they end up with the same results?

From what I understand LME will carmalize more during the boil the DME, thus giving you a darker a beer.

S_carve said:

Well, in my experience, it's because of the way things are sold. For example, unless you buy it from a LHBS that has it in bulk, LME usually comes in 3.3 pound cans. Most recipes have a s.g. that might require a can and a half or something like that if it's only LME- so it's one can of LME, and the rest can be made up in DME. DME is generally sold in one pound packages, or three pound packages so it's easier to make up the difference with the DME and just save the rest. LME doesn't keep well, and DME keeps well if it's kept dry.

Back