How to make liquid malt extract ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
how do you save the wort to carb with out of a batch? without it starting fermenting? freeze it?
Yes, freezing in a plastic container would be the best, and most safe method.

Otherwise, keeping it chilled, in the fridge, for up to 5-7 days.
Use a good sanitation regimen, of course.

i was just fidling around with that brewer's friend calculator seriously....that's got to be the hardest core calc i've seen there! glad @BrewingWisdom brought it up, for the effort that went into it, it's nice to think someone will maybe get some use out of it!

If thin plastic bottles for coke, pepsi etc can then why cant my think plastic fermenating bucket can hold a carbonation pressure. Also, I think the pressure is far more during primary fermentation when the airlock is bubbling like crazy , if during that stage my bucket didn't burst when why during a secondary one when most activity is done already.
The thin plastic soda bottles are designed as pressure vessels, and will hold upwards of 100 psi. Note that the tops and bottoms are rounded to prevent stress concentrations that will effectively weaken the bottle. Buckets have square corners at the tops and bottoms, and the tops and bottoms are flat. These are both bad as far as pressure vessels are concerned. In the USA, soda bottles have a cap opening of less than 0.9 inch, for an area of less than 0.64 in^2. Buckets typically have lids greater than 12 inches in diameter, for areas greater than 133 in^2. More on why this is important below.

no, no, to get bubbles you only need like 2 psi if that...you need 12psi for cabonation! big difference, that kind of pressure would pop a normal bucket lid right off!
Actually it takes only a fraction of a psi to get a bubble thru an airlock. 12 psi will give you ~2.44 volumes of carbonation, if the beer temp is 41°F (5°C). For natural carbonation, you need the beer temp to be around 68°F (20°C.) At 20°C, you need 28 psi to get 2.44 volumes of carbonation.

At 28 psi, the force on the cap of a soda bottle is 28 psi * 0.64 in^2 = 18 lb - no big deal. For a bucket lid, the force would be greater than 28 psi * 133 in^2 = 3724 psi lb !! - huge difference.

Brew on :mug:

Edit: corrected 3724 psi to 3724 lb.

Last edited:
After successfully making my first beer (
Thread 'I finally made a beer from scratch' I finally made a beer from scratch)
now I am looking forward to expand my brewing craft by making my own liquid malt extract.The primary reason why I want to make my own LME is that I want to use it as a priming sugar for carbonation. I have heard carbonation from LME or DME gives a more natural touch to our beer. Plus to have a true beer I believe all our fermentable sugars should come from a grain.
@bracconiere @IslandLizard help a brother out .
Cheers 🍻🍻
Can you get corn sugar? Corn is a grain!😉

Well it looks like making a LME isn't worth the effort for my intended purpose.Carbonating it with the same wort is the best idea thanks @IslandLizard for this amazing idea.
@IslandLizard @bracconiere you two always come up with the slickest solution .But of course I would like to thank everyone in this forum who helped me so far in any capacity.
I will separate the wort in a plastic container freeze it and later update you how it went.

It's a lot of work to go through for very little reward. Just dissolve a quarter to a third cup of dextrose in distilled water and boil it to sterilize. Mix that into your batch and bottle right away. I'm assuming it's a 5 gallon batch. I generally do that in a keg and then bottle from there

Back