Substitute for Crisp Best Ale Malt?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C38368

Reaction score
Title says it all, just curious if anyone has experience brewing with Crisp's Best Ale Malt and, if so, what some comparable substitutions for it might be?

I'm about to finish a sack of it. Quality, delicious malt. Very full flavored, but none of the peanut-y-ness you can get from MO.

What sort of substitute are you looking for? Can't get Crisp, but can get other UK malts? Looking to use the Breiss malts in stock at the LHBS?

Some say Simpsons is a bit more flavourful and some say Crisp is a tad more extractive but I tried both and noticed no difference whatsoever. I keep them both as fully interchangable.
Maybe Simpsons is a slightest shade darker, but the difference is so little I'm not sure it's because of the malt and not because of my brewing process.

Title says it all, just curious if anyone has experience brewing with Crisp's Best Ale Malt and, if so, what some comparable substitutions for it might be?
What do you plan to brew? Choice of pale ale malt in a smash bitter will have more influence than in a dry stout.

Back