Subbing dark candi for table sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jack_a_roe

Reaction score
I'm planning a dark strong brew and the recipe I was basing mine off of called for 2.5 lbs of table sugar. I wanted to sub it with some dark candi sugar instead and didn't want to overdo it as I've heard by adding to much can really get you in trouble. Where is the line of adding too much? Would 2 lbs be a good place to go?

Too much of any kind of sugar can cause problems, but it's generally a pretty high threshold before it's a real problem--like 20%. Meanwhile, the whole character of dubbels and dark strongs comes from dark sugar, so it's important to use enough.

In a 5 gallon batch, 2 pounds is a totally normal level. But posting the recipe would give us more to work with!

here's the recipe, it's a clone from the renegades of funk website...

Allagash Odyssey clone v1
Belgian quad
6.25 gal batch, brewed 9/25/10

8 lbs US 2-row (Rahr)
7.2 lbs Red wheat malt (Rahr)
0.65 lbs Roasted barley (Simpson's)
2.5 lbs Organic table sugar (added at end of boil)

2 oz Hallertau (4.2% aa) @ 65 min
2 oz Tettnang (3.5% aa) @ 20 min

starting gravity 1.084
final gravity 1.008
10.0% abv
30 IBUs
25 SRM

Yeast propagation: Wyeast 3522

I've adjusted it for a 5 gallon batch so lowered everything a bit except the candi sugar but my FG is going to be 1.012 which is obviously a little high and kinda weird considering the percentages are all the same (save sugar). Could that be because I'm using candi sugar instead of table sugar?

1.008 in the original recipe is, IMO, highly optimistic. It's tough to push most beers below 1.010, though obviously it's possible through a combination of yeast strain, fermentation temperature, mash temperature, OG, grain bill, etc. But I'd say that even a high-attenuating Belgian strain that's allowed to free rise in temperature, and on a grain bill with a high percentage of simple sugar, would have a hard time getting to 1.008. So if you wind up at 1.012, you shouldn't feel bad. It won't be too much of a difference between that and 1.008 anyway. To maximize attenuation, though, do let the temperature rise at the end (mid-70s is fine, though you can certainly start cooler, say mid to high 60s).

for sure, gettn it down to 1.08 would be like 90% attenuation or something crazy!

i suppose i shall go with the 2.5 lbs of candi sugar according to what yall have said, think it comes out to be just under 20%.

to try and my fg as low as possible i should mash low for long right? 148 for 90 min?

20% is the magic number for adding sugar. You'll want at least half of that to be dark candi sugar for this recipe.

1.008 isn't completely out of the question if you do everything you can to make it happen. I made a tripel a few months back and it went from 1.077 down to 1.004 with no trouble at all. Although, I was using Wyeast 3787...which, by the way, made for a very sweet beer despite it finishing so dry.

Back