Sub for Vienna malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeBTexas

Reaction score
I'm looking for a sub for Vienna. Is there a close second? I'm using it in an ale at about 30% of the grain bill.

In my opinion the short answer to this is no. Vienna has a distinct toasty flavor that is fairly unique to that particular malt. As you kiln higher and go to Munich malt, the base malt flavor becomes more bready. However, you do say it's only 30% of the grain bill, so maybe the effect will be muted. Your best bet, if you can't get Vienna, is probably light Munich (~6-7 Lovibond).

I wouldn't substitute Munich 1 for 1. If you're using 30% Vienna, I'd use maybe 15% Munich as an alternative.

I agree with subyellow and I would also make up the the missing malt with the base grain. I would probably add another ~ 13.5% of the base malt to make up for the remaining 15% of Vienna. Hope that makes sense.

Kolsch malt may be close.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Just a quick note in response to pdietert's comment: I would consider both Munich (up to 10 Lovibond) and Vienna both base malts. Both have enough diastatic power to convert themselves (and in the case of Vienna any remaining grains) and can make up 100% of the grist for a beer (e.g. Vienna Lager, Munich Dunkel), so I think the implication that these are not base malts is a little misleading. I also think you would be fine using as much as 30% of Munich in most recipes, but for a blonde ale, 30% Munich may take you out of the color of the style, so yes, using a mix of pale malt and Munich would probably be a better choice. Hope you got what you needed.

Just a quick note in response to pdietert's comment: I would consider both Munich (up to 10 Lovibond) and Vienna both base malts. Both have enough diastatic power to convert themselves (and in the case of Vienna any remaining grains) and can make up 100% of the grist for a beer (e.g. Vienna Lager, Munich Dunkel), so I think the implication that these are not base malts is a little misleading. I also think you would be fine using as much as 30% of Munich in most recipes, but for a blonde ale, 30% Munich may take you out of the color of the style, so yes, using a mix of pale malt and Munich would probably be a better choice. Hope you got what you needed.

Sorry did not mean to confuse anyone, I was indeed actually trying to keep the SRM and ABV on target, I do not know if that was an issue or not.

Back