Styrian Goldings vs. EKG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peter_shoes_

Reaction score
Although people say they're pretty similar, I know that Styrian Goldings are actually Fuggles that are grown in Slovenia. Honestly I would never substitute EKG for Styrian Goldings, but I would consider subbing out Styrian Goldings for Fuggles. What do you think? Have you had any experience in using Styrian Goldings intentionally or as substitutions? How about in a SMASH beer (I imagine they would be great with maris otter or 2-row)? Post below! let's talk about these Golding brother hops!

I tend to use the SG as I have an oversupply instead of or mixed with fuggles. I Wouldn't use it instead of EKG either. My oversupply arose as I was buying Styrian Goldings as I thought it was a substitute for EKG ( which is very hard to get in NZ at the moment).

Most likely if you are purchasing something labeled Styrian Golding it is actually the Celeia hop. The real Styrian Golding (the Fuggle offspring version) was re-named to Savinjski Golding a number of years ago, after Slovenia entered the EU in 2004. Celeia is a triploid hybred of Savinjski, Aurora, and a "wild hop". It is far more citrusy in character than the earthy Savinjski.

Perhaps as much as ~85% of all hops grown these days in Slovenia are Celeia and Aurora, and they are about equally grown.

Edit: Pre 2004 a multitude of hops from Slovenia were being marketed as Styrian Golding. The EU actually tried to straighten out what had become a marketing mess.

Most likely if you are purchasing something labeled Styrian Golding it is actually the Celeia hop. The real Styrian Golding (the Fuggle offspring version) was re-named to Savinjski Golding a number of years ago, after Slovenia entered the EU in 2004. Celeia is a triploid hybred of Savinjski, Aurora, and a "wild hop". It is far more citrusy in character than the earthy Savinjski.

Perhaps as much as ~85% of all hops grown these days in Slovenia are Celeia and Aurora, and they are about equally grown.

Edit: Pre 2004 a multitude of hops from Slovenia were being marketed as Styrian Golding. The EU actually tried to straighten out what had become a marketing mess.
Oh jeez, Yeah i actually purchased Celeia from my LHBS like a week or so ago to use in my ordinary bitter. Is there any hop that is more similar to the old school Styrian Golding Fuggle derivative? Most of my recipes are modified versions of Charlie's recipes from his 2001 handbook, so that may be where some of the confusion is coming from.

The more I think of this hop, the more I want to explore the use of the Celeia variant of Styrian Golding. It seems to click a lot of boxes (for me) as sort of a go to flavor/aroma type hop for lagers. And it may even prove to be quite nice in UK ales such as Bitters. I'm envisioning a Czech/Bohemian light lager using a mix of Sterling and Celeia instead of Saaz. And Bitters using a mix of Challenger and Celeia.

I use Styrian for porters and stouts with great results - major fan of it with WLP026. I have used it as both main bittering and/opr aroma.

EKG I use typically 30 min or less in the boil for bitters.

EKG seems much more floral vs earthy I get from Styrians

YMMV

Back