Styles of Beer You Just Can't Stand

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Let's see:
1. Black IPAs: I just don't see the point. The ones I've had have often tasted like toned down IPAs with black food coloring. Why have a black beer if you're going to try so hard to minimize the roast flavor? Now a nice bitter porter on the other hand... Part of that is more my palate than the beer, I'm really insensitive to roasty flavors.
2. Beers that are both sweet and boozy. Alcohol and sweetness just clash horribly for me. Traditional English sweet stouts and milds are fine but some of those horrible cloying DIPAs or Sam Adam's abomination of an Octoberfest, yeck.
3. Rye: tastes like chewing on black pepper for me.
4. Saisons: I've made a ****-ton of saisons because of my lack of temperature control in the summer and just can't get around not liking the yeast taste these get. I can work around the flavor and make beers I enjoy (MOAR citra dry hop!) but it's always in spite of rather than because of the saison yeast. Luckily now I can just use WLP644 as more mild hot weather yeast.

Tried a few sours and saisons at a beer festival recently. Can't say I can see what everyone else sees in them.

Also IPAs, while I really like a good one, there is soooo much rubbish out there. I pretty much only buy IPAs on draught where at least you know it's fresh.

And of course macro lagers, makes me want to cry when a restaurant's lineup consists of 8 different types of macro lager. Somehow offering 8 different brands of the same style of beer is "variety".

Or more generally any beer that has one flavor that completely overwhelms everything else. Good beer should find some balance between the different ingredients and bone dry hop bombs or Belgian beers where all you can taste is the esters miss that.

That usually makes beers with adjuncts bad because either the adjunct overwhelms everything (bad) or they taste like whatever the dominant flavor from the yeast/malt/hops are and help that overwhelm everything.

Forgot to add....and please don't take me over the coals for this.... but any type of sour beer. I don't like sour stuff to begin with, then you add the sweetness of beer and just...nope. Can't do it.

I know it's crazy, but I just can't like Saisons. I like most other Belgian styles including funky beers and lambics, but just don't love Saisons.

I also don't care for porters. They always seem like just a stout gone wrong to me. Like someone wanted to make a stout, but only had enough dark or roasted grain to add some color. They taste like a thin, watered down, non-roasty stout to me.

Blasphemy....pure blasphemy

Clean fruit beers. Stop pretending you can add anything you like to a wheat beer, it's gross.
Pumpkin beers. I don't understand what's so appealing about nutmeg in a brown ale, but every year people seem to make more money from it.
American lagers. People say BMC tastes like water, but I don't know any municipal water source with such a foul off flavor. Blech.

White IPA or Black IPA. Just examples of a saturated craft brew market where breweries are trying to distinguish themselves but making disgusting beer in the process.

Also have to agree with Porter. Just doesn't do it for me. I like stout and I like brown ale. Porter is just... Meh.

Except coconut Porter! It's a paradox! I thought it would be a gross novelty but it's surprisingly tasty! Also helps when your drink it in Hawaii so maybe relaxation has something to do with it.

I'll await the lynch mob on this one...but I dont like IPA's at all, I just can't get into them try as I might, occasionally I'll grab a "must try" IPA and every time I remember why I only do it occasionally. So far the only ones I've really been able to even stomach are the varieties of Sculpin.

Everything else I'll basically drink, might not love it, but I can drink it.

Agree with you in spirit, but I'm building up a small stable of IPA-type beers I can sorta stand. I've found one I actually like, though: Six Rights, by Sierra Nevada. ~8%, 50 IBU. My long-distance partner summed it up "...okay, I can taste why this is an IPA...but I don't want to immediately stop drinking it. o_O"

Also not a fan of the saisons, sours, and "funky" beers I've had so far.

Styles I literally can't stand: bitter-balanced high-gravity IPAs that have inexplicably been mislabeled as barleywines.

Most Pilsners (I could drink them if that is what was available, just not a fan of them) and some Lambics.

Not a huge fan of the overly-Belgian yeast characteristics. Not a fan of cloves and/or banana in my beer.

I am not really a lover of fruit in my beer, although there are styles that handle fruit very well, and I am still overly sensitive to spices in my beer (one reason I can't stand most pumpkin beers) but I have learned that there are no absolutes when it comes to every style.

I'm not an IPA fan. Around 40 IBUs is my limit. And I'd rather not drink at all if I can only have a domestic macro brew.

American IPA`s
All variety of sours/Lambics
Any beer with Tequila pre-mixed into it (Tequila does NOT belong in beer)
BMC beers

I'm going to have to say Gose, Lambics, and pilsner for me. I can't stand the sours, nor can I stand the lack of taste that pilsners have.

Another on the white IPA's...they are out of balance on the wrong side for me. I'm a malt lover

There aren't a whole lot of styles I don't like, or at least that I can't or won't drink.

Anything with cranberry or grapefruit is disgusting to me (and not just in beer).

I want to like blueberry beers because I love blueberries but I've never had a blueberry beer that's been very good.

Never been much of a pumpkin beer fan...but I try them every year.

Basically everything Belgian. Not sure why but I just can't get into it. The closest I can get is a white IPA.

Belgian Tripels and white IPA's. Ick! Sweet, yeasty and heavy. No thanks. Also, sours. Gross. Creature comforts here in Atlanta has Athena. I tried to get theough one can. Cant do it.

Wheat and smoked beers. Can't stand them, especially if the wheat beer has banana flavors. To me all smoked beers taste like I licked and ash tray.

it's pretty black or white for me :)

don't like Witbier, don't like porters or stouts

don't like a beer that's bittered for the sake of being bitter

don't like a beer that has so much residual yeast in it that it still tastes like yeast ;)

i can think of many other beers that i don't care for in a style that i usually do enjoy.

J.

Most IPAs. I don't want to drink something that numbs my tongue so much that I can't taste anything else.

Anything "Imperial" or "Double", especially stouts, especially if they're barreled. I'll probably get strung up for saying it, but I think BCBS is awful. Destihl has won awards for their Dosvidanya RIS, but I can't choke it down.

I like stouts in general, but these styles I just can't stand and don't understand the appeal.

it's pretty black or white for me :)

don't like Witbier, don't like porters or stouts

don't like a beer that's bittered for the sake of being bitter

don't like a beer that has so much residual yeast in it that it still tastes like yeast ;)

i can think of many other beers that i don't care for in a style that i usually do enjoy.

J.

Wow. Finally someone who admits to liking Bud Light.

You've eliminated everything else. :p

Wow. Finally someone who admits to liking Bud Light.

You've eliminated everything else. :p

hah, didn't see that coming :D
i think that i left quite a bit more on the table ;)

don't think that i even had any beer that has "light" in the name.

FWIW, i've enjoyed some 100+IBU IPAs, but they had more going on than just bitterness. i don't mind bitter, if it serves a purpose ;)

i didn't list what i DO like, as it seemed not what this thread is about ;)

J.

- Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy
- Belgian Quads

I can't do overly sweet or phenolic/peppery beers

I'm getting pretty close to writing off anything with even the slightest bit of vanilla. Damns stuff just drives all the beery goodness out.

Back