Stupid mistake...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erythro73

Reaction score
So I've made a stupid mistake and I want to throw myself against the wall or something. I've brewed Who's in the garden grand cru from Papazian's book. This is suppoded to be Hoegaarden Grand Clu Ale clone.

For a 2.5 gallons batch, the recipe calls for these ingredients :

2.5 lbs DME (light or extra light) (however, my LHBS sold me Liquid Pale Malt Extract, 2.96 lbs)
1 lbs Honey
0.5 oz Hallertauer (60 min)
0.25 oz Hallertauer (15 min)
0.25 oz Hallertauer (1 min)
0.25 oz Orange Peel, Bitter [/b] (5 minutes)
0.38 oz coriander seed (15 min)
0.38 oz coriander seed (5 min)
I used WLP400

However, I just realized my LHBS only sells coriander seeds and orange peel in package of 20 grams (~0.7 oz) minimum. It's ok for coriander seeds, but he sold me the 20 grams (~0.7 oz instead of 0.25 oz) of Orange Peel. He did told me before.

But, I forgot it, and I brewed with the whole 0.7 oz of Orange Peel instead of the 0.25 oz the recipe calls for. That's almost three times the required amount.

How will it affects my beer? Will it be disgusting and barely drinkable? Too acid? Taste like vomit? Or, RDWHAHB?

more likely orange juice :mug:
Well... will the orange taste be overwhelming, or too much for the style but still very enjoyable?

I already have my orange juice on the morning. I hope for all the other flavors and aromas of the beer to be there... Not just orange...

Did you crush it at all or just add it? I have found it isn't overly strong unless you crush it prior to using it.

Good luck.

Huh. No, I didn't crushed them... Didn't know I had too. What I bought was chunk of orange peel. I used them as is. Very similar to them :

Bitter_Orange_Peel.jpg

Yea, I have fond when I used the dried and did not crush them it was not strong enough for what I wanted.

It is a lot of orange peel but it most likely won't be overwhelming!

Nah, it'll be fine. While drinking it, it'll barley be noticeable- you'll just detect more orange flavor. Saves you the effort of tossing a wedge in there, amirite?

Nah, it'll be fine. While drinking it, it'll barley be noticeable- you'll just detect more orange flavor. Saves you the effort of tossing a wedge in there, amirite?
Yeah. Thanks, I was fearing that it would non-drinkable. But I guess I'll RDWHAHB and... well, the beer should be ready for the summer, so I guess a little bit more orange flavor will be good and refreshing... and different! ;)

I guess I'm just mad at myself. Why didn't I weight it BEFORE?

Well, I guess I learned another valuable lesson.

That recipe was my third brew. Back July of last year. I have only one left...
I made a five gallon batch, and only used 1 oz of the coriander seed instead of the 1.5oz the recipe calls for. If you used the full 1.5 oz for the 2.5 gallon batch, I would be more concerned about that then the orange peel.
I find coriander to be very strong.

Nah, the coriander seeds were well-weighted. No worries about that.

So, if the coriander seeds come out strong already, I guess more orange peel will balance it out.

I'll wait some times and when I'll taste it, once in bottle, I'll be sure to give a review of what taste profile I have.

Back