Stupid Idea For Next Beer But I Want To Do It Anyway

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

masampson

Reaction score
okay, just thinking with the guys about what to whip up next. started thinking that a belgian white would be cool, but i was wondering if i could make it really dark without ruining the flavor. thinking a "black white ale" if you catch my drift! so i guess i'm wondering if using just a little bit (like .5 lb) of chocolate malt in a 5 gal batch would A) add too much flavor to still have the white ale profile and B) would it make it dark enough?

I can't say whether or not you will overpower the belgian white flavors, but I say give it a try. I'd use a carafa dehusked malt with a high Lovibond. The carafa dehusked give a less harsh flavor that a black malt, but the same amount of color. Maybe 3 or 4 oz of Carafa Special III would get the color you're looking for. Plug it into some software and see what it says. I've used 2 or 3 oz a carafa special III an ale for color, and there was almost no roastiness or harshness from the dark grain.

I've also heard of people mixing in a little (4 oz?) black malt in the last 10 minutes or so of the mash - you wind out extracting a lot of color but not really a whole lot of flavor.

those are all both really good ideas, i know the black malt is the darkest but i was concerned about the burnt flavor affecting it. i mean i'd like this beer to be black if possible, but i'll have to tinker!

those are all both really good ideas, i know the black malt is the darkest but i was concerned about the burnt flavor affecting it. i mean i'd like this beer to be black if possible, but i'll have to tinker!

I believe there is a de-husked black malt available, that pretty much eliminates that burnt flavor.

Back