Stupid errors result in sweet FG for HG brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cyclman

I Sell Koalas
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So, I did a Utopias clone. Pitched a massive amount of initial yeast, had a very vigorous fermentation. Added candi sugar and maple syrup to a high gravity wort (but didn't add additional yeast with the sugar, duh). Oxygenated, but didn't do a 2nd (or 3rd) oxygenation. In hindsight, made lots of rookie super high gravity mistakes.

I travel for work, so my sugar additions were sometimes later than they ought to have been. Fermentation was temp controlled, ramped up to the high 70s toward the end.

Beer has been fermenting / ageing in secondary for a year. Still cloyingly sweet, at 1.068.

Thinking of pitching with brett, might that dry this out? Beano? Make it into vinegar?

The flavor is complex and delicious, just sickeningly sweet.

Or, is this a "dumper"? Experiments are often failures.

It was a valiant attempt.

Next time wait for fermentation to really slow down before adding the sugar. Yeast will go dorment in to much sugar.. Probably not the right word but gets the point across.

Brett will likely do it, but it will probably take some time and may well go drier than you want. Have you tried gently rousing the yeast and bumping up the temp a couple of degrees/moving it somewhere a little warmer?

Latest posts

Back