Stupid carb drop question of the day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GJOCONNELL

Reaction score
So I skipped bottling and went to kegs but wanted to free up som room in my kegs which are getting Low.

Can I transfer to the bottle and add a carb drop of the appropriate size and condition for three to four weeks at room temp (68 deg f)? Or is the yeast gone at this point for a carb drop?

Second question on a sour i will be bottling but want to use carb drops on 750 ml bottles. Receipe is a tart of darkness. Do I need to add yeast before putting into the bottle after 9 months in the fermenter? What is the best method to add yeast for bottling?

You can bottle carbonated beer from a keg if you shut off the gas flow and bleed off most of the head space. Then slowly fill a tilted bottle and cap it. If it's too slow, goose the keg with a little more gas.

I've bottled from kegs up to one year old for a couple imperial stouts and I had good success adding EC-1118 champagne yeast to the keg prior to bottling. You have to take into account the residual carbonation in the keg so that you don't over-prime. I have also used Danstar CBC-1 with good success.

I have not had good luck carbonating sours that have come directly from carboys aged for over 1 year, even when adding fresh yeast. I think that I need to acclimate the champagne yeast I add to the low pH environment by making a small, low-pH starter.

Is the beer in the keg already carbonated?

If not, how long has it been in the keg?

As long as it has been less than a few months, there will still be enough yeast to carbonate bottles if you transfer to bottles (Assuming uncarbonated beer, otherwise, what railwalker said).

Back