Stuff floating on top? (pic)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HappyWarrior

Reaction score
I've been away for ten days...and this is supposed to be bottled tomorrow (it's been fermenting for three weeks).

There's something, likely yeast, still floating on top.

Is this a dead loss?

unnamed.jpg

Ill say this so somebody else doesnt have to... Yes, its a total loss. Better package it up and send it to me.

Nah, looks great to me. Those are just yeasties floatin around. If you want to make them disappear then cold crash it, but they arent hurting anything :mug:

Phew, good! Thanks guys.

I can't cold crash in bulk as my tiny tiny tiny tiny apartment fridge would need to enlarge itseld three-fold to fit the carboy.

Can I just bottle and then cold crash in the bottles when carbonation is complete?

that stuff will fall out in the bottle after you have carbed them. That looks yummy!

Glad it looks good. My all-grain confidence is pretty low :p

.....but there's no support group!

Ill say this so somebody else doesnt have to... Yes, its a total loss. Better package it up and send it to me.

Nah, looks great to me. Those are just yeasties floatin around. If you want to make them disappear then cold crash it, but they arent hurting anything :mug:

Better to have a second opinion. I'll pay shipping to Kev, and myself.

Most of that will not make it to the bottling bucket. It will end up on the trub after you siphon. Just bottle it, condition for 3 weeks or longer at about 70 degrees, chill one to test. If done start enjoying them.

Like others have said, cold crash and it will sink to the bottom.

But that's really not necessary, you can just rack to your bottling bucket and you should be fine.

Back