Stuck Taps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdf191

Reaction score
So I guess I am learning why the more expensive taps say (dont get stuck, like other versions) on them... But I bought the cheaper taps... and I have experienced them getting a bit sticky if I dont draw any beer from them for a few days, but it hasnt been a big deal until now. I hadnt used the taps in a little over a week and yesterday when I went to use it, the tap handle would not move at all. I actually pulled so hard that I broke the cheap generic plastic tap handle off in my hand!
So the tap handle can be replaced easily enough.. I think they are only a few $'s. But is there any way to combat this stuck tap problem other then the two obvious solutions of never stop drinking your beer for more then a few days, and or buying better taps?

Nope... its a design flaw. Each time you pour a beer the little slide thing gets wet, then it dries out leaving residue on the faucet. After a few weeks of that residue building up the faucet sticks. The fix is getting forward sealing faucets. All of the moving components stay wet with beer and you get smooth action every time!

Welcome to kegging. Ventmatic or Perlick forward sealing faucets are the way to go. They are well worth the extra few bucks. I save my cheap faucets for party going, where they will get a workout, but be done after one night.

mdf191 said:
So I guess I am learning why the more expensive taps say (dont get stuck, like other versions) on them... But I bought the cheaper taps... and I have experienced them getting a bit sticky if I dont draw any beer from them for a few days, but it hasnt been a big deal until now. I hadnt used the taps in a little over a week and yesterday when I went to use it, the tap handle would not move at all. I actually pulled so hard that I broke the cheap generic plastic tap handle off in my hand!
So the tap handle can be replaced easily enough.. I think they are only a few $'s. But is there any way to combat this stuck tap problem other then the two obvious solutions of never stop drinking your beer for more then a few days, and or buying better taps?

I had the exact same problem and bit the bullet and bought 2 Perlick taps. Cost me $90 (Brass) but it was worth every penny....

EdWort said:
Welcome to kegging. Ventmatic or Perlick forward sealing faucets are the way to go. They are well worth the extra few bucks.
Absolutely, and I'm glad I went with them from the start.

Ironically, the cheap faucets work fine in a professional environment, where they are used continuously all night and routinely cleaned.

Well I have bought the cheap ones, and have never had a problem yet... After every keg I flush with hot water, then sanitizer, then more hot water...Maybe that is why I have not had any problems...(and my kegs are getting cleaned at the same time)

paranode said:
Still a few Ventmatics left on this eBay auction if you're interested. Good price. :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ventmatic-Shirr...ryZ38172QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Damn good price. I just grabbed two. I've been watching this guy for a couple of weeks, and he sells out and then re-lists lots of 30. (I should have bought 'em when they were listed a buck cheaper.:drunk: ) He also lists shanks to match, but the listing was down to 1, so I'll wait and see if he re-lists and grab a pair. (insert your fave joke here)

Regardless, has anyone else picked these up? His feedback is all good. Just curious.

Ize

Ize said:
Damn good price. I just grabbed two. I've been watching this guy for a couple of weeks, and he sells out and then re-lists lots of 30. (I should have bought 'em when they were listed a buck cheaper.:drunk: ) He also lists shanks to match, but the listing was down to 1, so I'll wait and see if he re-lists and grab a pair. (insert your fave joke here)

Regardless, has anyone else picked these up? His feedback is all good. Just curious.

Ize

Yeah I've bought 4 off of this guy. He's great. He sends them out asap and I couldn't be happier with the service. :)

I keep a spray bottle filled with water and sanitizer near the kegerator. When I am done drinking for night I spray the sanitizer mix up the faucet nozzle. seems to work pretty well...they don't seem to stick even after a week or so of non-use.

I just bought 2 faucets from that guy on Ebay as well. They arrived a couple of days later with the shanks, and were in crazy protective packaging. I can't stop playing with them....I need to get the rest of my gear together so I can hook these bad boys up!

Same problem here. I just tend to drain line pressure, yank the faucet and run under hot water. Then re-install and run a pint through it.

-J

I got frustrated with the stickiness even though I used the taps almost every night for at least one and got the Perlicks, since then, nothing but smooth action.

Linc

Ize said:

Ize

Drat that guy's getting wise, this listing he has them fort 28$ :(

Thumbs up to this guy. Excellent faucets. And like jacobyhale said, crazy good packaging. Took me almost 10 minutes to get em' out. :drunk:

I Love em'. :rockin:

Ize

Uncle Argyle said:
I keep a spray bottle filled with water and sanitizer near the kegerator. When I am done drinking for night I spray the sanitizer mix up the faucet nozzle. seems to work pretty well...they don't seem to stick even after a week or so of non-use.

I do the same thing and it works like a champ.....

D

You can also keep a second corny keg filled with sanitizer and if you know its going to be 3-4 days before your next beer just hook it up and pull some through. I do that anyway with my forward sealing when I leave town for a week or so.

sorry to bring a post back from the dead - but I'm having this issue right now - both of my crappy taps are stuck. Other than buying nicer taps, what do you folks do in this situation?

I'm thirsty!! damn it!

I had this problem when I first built my kegerator. If you're willing to do the work then go for it but Perlick faucets will solve the problem once and for all. Here's what I did: When done drinking (usually Sunday nights) I would turn the CO2 off, drain the beer line, remove the faucet, take it apart, clean it thoroughly, put it back together, put it back on the shank and leave it for next time. The whole process takes less than 20 minutes after you master it. I did this for two weeks before buying a Perlick faucet. I loved it so much that I bought another one immediately after pooring a beer. I found the best price on RiteBrew.com for the faucets. I ordered from them and it was in my hand within a few days.

thanks Spirk, it looks like those faucets just screw right into my existing tower. Yah, for $25 each, I think I'll just order them and be done w/ it

Back