Stuck Secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just put down a 20 gal brew of ale using grains and extract (DME) with Fermentis S05 yeast. The OG turned out a bit higher than expected at 1068 and I pitched yeast at 65F. The primary got going within a couple of hours and was active for about 2.5 days and temp rose to about 68F.
Then it ground to a screeching halt and is bubbling very slowly maybe once every 5 mins. I checked the SG and it is still at 1035 - a long way to go and its going to take a LONG time if ever.

I'm wondering if I should pitch more yeast?

I'm starting to think that the pitch rate of one packet dry yeast (11.5g) per 5 gal was probably too low considering the OG, and that might have been the start of the problem.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks

did you only use 1 pack per 20 gallons or 5? I'm a bit confused because you say one and than the other. you probably want one pack per 5 gallons. I've been adding 2 packets of dry yeast to my ales since dry yeast is pretty inexpensive. Did you aerate the wort? Thats much more necessary for high gravity beers.

If I am reading your OP correctly, the brew has been in the primary for less than 5 days, correct?

If this is the case, let it ride a full three weeks. Take readings periodically and let it sit as long as the gravity continues to drop. You can also give the fermenter a shake to stir the yeast back up. This might kick off the fermentation if it has slowed or stopped.

Your pitch rate is probably ok for the gravity.

To clarify - I used 4 packages of yeast for 20 gal, but if i do the math that's only about 4x10EE6 cells per ml which is less than the recommended for a normal OG ale less than 1060. At 1068 the recommended is 12x10EE6 cells/ml so I'm confused on that one. i did aerate with air not O2 for 30 mins with aquarium pump and stainless stone. Not sure how effective that is as the bubbles are very small and it probably needed more for 20 gal.
I have raised the temp to 72F which has slightly increased the CO2 bubble rate but still very slow compared to what I'm used to seeing.
Maybe I'll just wait it out given that there is at least some action.
Thanks for the replies.

I'm confused...your title says 'stuck secondary'...but your posts all imply this is still in primary.

Which is true!?

malkore said:
I'm confused...your title says 'stuck secondary'...but your posts all imply this is still in primary.

Which is true!?
ditto, if you racked to secondary, then THAT is why you are stuck.

if you're still in primary, like DraconianHand said...leave it alone for a couple of weeks.

Back