Stuck hornindal kveik fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muchacho

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am fermenting a 1.055 APA with hornindal from omega and it is stuck ~ 1.030. I am hoping to get some advise on how to handle this, as I have read that this strain can hang if over pitched and, therefore am not sure that adding more yeast will 'unstick' the ferment.

This is the 2nd pitch from a pack from omega that was packaged in march. I made a 1.5L vitality starter that was on a stir plate for ~ 4h prior to saving ~400mL and pitching the balance into the first batch. At 4h the starter was going strong and the first batch fermented out rapidly and was on tap a week later! I let the extra 400mL ferment out and then put it in the fridge for about 10 days and then repeated the same process for the 2nd batch. I figured that I would be underpitching so I hit the wort with 1 min of O2. The next morning, there was a little blow out, but the fermentation was not nearly as vigorous as the first time. A few days later (now) it has fizzled out and has not budged much over the last day. There is some thick krausen on top, so I tried to swirl it in to get it back in solution.

What do you think happened? Should I try to make a fresh starter to get it going again? Alternatively, I could add some trusty US05 to finish it off.

Thanks!

These yeasts are very heavy feeders and require either a high gravity wort or extra yeast nute. The temp also has a factor in finishing, I start mine low ~ 60* and put it on a heater and it gets to 90* in 24 hours. The Voss strain did a 84% ADF on an APA of 1.084, and 74% on a RIS of 1.126. Waiting on the Hornindal (pitched 5/30 at 7:30 am) , down to one burp every min. last nite,so might sample today.

1.055 is a little on the low side. Did you add any nutrients? What temperature did you pitch at?

The Hornindal brew had an OG of 1.051 and finished at 1.008. Step mash 144- 158,and 1/2tps yeast nute. this gives me an 84.3% ADF. Oh it's carbed and flowing and Delicious. Serving at a big brew on Saturdy 12 days GtoG and clear.

I am fermenting a 1.055 APA with hornindal from omega and it is stuck

Did this finish out? Just curious if you found a reason for it stalling. Ive used both hornindal and voss for a few brews over the last six months and haven't seen a problem like this. I underpitch though(tbsp of slurry/5 gal), so I wanted to know if there is some truth to the overpitching thing.

So, the beer eventually dropped down to 1.012. After about 7 days, the rate of fermentation picked up for a day or so. Super slow ferment, I fermented at 74 - > 78 and did not add any yeast nutrients. It tastes a little off, and reminded me of how ferments went back in the day of old dry yeast packs that were stuck on the top of malt extract cans... I really dont know what happened as far as whether it was over or under pitched.

So, the beer eventually dropped down to 1.012. After about 7 days, the rate of fermentation picked up for a day or so. Super slow ferment, I fermented at 74 - > 78 and did not add any yeast nutrients. It tastes a little off, and reminded me of how ferments went back in the day of old dry yeast packs that were stuck on the top of malt extract cans... I really dont know what happened as far as whether it was over or under pitched.
Well based on what you've told us you hit the trifecta. Overpitching, not enough nutrients and you fermented a little cool. I usually pitch above 90F.

Well my experience with Voss was great,finished in 3 days sg 1.070 to 1.11 however fermenting Hordnal ATM great drop first day from 1.078 to 1.052 fermenting at 32c,I then pressurized to 10 psi and two days later only dropped 9 points.
I also don't know what's happening.

Back