Stuck Fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I prepared a batch of Power Pack Porter last week using an extract kit from Midwest. I'm not sure what the OG was because I made a mistake measuring, topped off the container with water to get to 5 gallons and then didn't mix properly before taking sample.

After one week I'm sitting at 1.022. Two days ago I measured and it was at 1.024. The FG should be 1.012 - 1.015. I don't see a krausen on top and haven't had a single bubble come through the airlock in a day. Does it seem like fermentation is stuck? I pitched Safale S-04 originally but also forgot to aerate properly so I'm worried the yeast is done. The sample I pulled two days ago appeared to have flocculating yeast and the sample I pulled today appears fairly clear.

Any suggestions?

I'd check it again in 2 days and if no gravity movement, is call it done. I just read that some extract kits that people make finish around 1.020.

If you used only 1 package it's probably a bit under pitched for a 5 gallon 1.060 beer. That plus no aeration might be contributing to it finishing a little high. You could gently agitate the fermenter to rouse the yeast and increase your temp. to 68-70F (if not already). That may help a bit.

In any event, I think it will still be fine ... but I would give it a least another 2 weeks in the fermenter (3 weeks total). Even if you don't get any lower gravity I think it will help with the taste.

I prepared a batch of Power Pack Porter last week using an extract kit from Midwest. I'm not sure what the OG was because I made a mistake measuring, topped off the container with water to get to 5 gallons and then didn't mix properly before taking sample.

After one week I'm sitting at 1.022. Two days ago I measured and it was at 1.024. The FG should be 1.012 - 1.015. I don't see a krausen on top and haven't had a single bubble come through the airlock in a day. Does it seem like fermentation is stuck? I pitched Safale S-04 originally but also forgot to aerate properly so I'm worried the yeast is done. The sample I pulled two days ago appeared to have flocculating yeast and the sample I pulled today appears fairly clear.

Any suggestions?

Just everyone you were purposefully making a session beer. We have all been there.

I want to have a definitive answer for the 1.02 problem. I brewed a Ferocious batch from Midwest Supplies after the initial Porter and this new batch appears to be sitting at the same 1.02. There are two things to try, switching yeast from S-04, and a late malt addition.

If I like the flavor of this initial batch that's stuck at 1.02 with S-04 then I'm going to try the exact same batch following the same instructions except for a difference in malt addition schedule. I'll add 20% up front and 80% at flameout. I'm leaning towards that being the answer but we'll see.

OG is supposed to be 1.063 - 1.067.

Ingredients:

6 lb. of Dark malt extract,
3.15 lb. Gold malt extract,
4 oz. Black Patent malt,
4 oz. Chocolate malt,
8 oz. Caramel 120L.

With just plain extract and S-04 yeast, I would not expect to get better than 75% attenuation, which would put you around 1.016 - 1.017.

Now add the 1 lb of grain with unfermentable sugars that is in the recipe, and you should end up with a higher gravity than that. My estimate would be 1.018 - 1.019.

Ferocious:

OG supposed to be 1.064 - 1.068

6 lbs. of Gold liquid malt extract
3.15 lbs. of Amber liquid malt extract
4 oz. of Crystal 50-60L

With the same yeast, this should end up about .002 below where the Porter ended up (less specialty grain = less unfermentable sugar).

A little confusing, is that the expected OG of the IPA is supposed to be higher than the Porter, but it has less ingredients????? By my estimate, they got the IPA correct, but the Porter should be closer to 1.070 ...... which would raise the expected FG by a point or two too.

Due to the variables that there are in brewing, I don't think 1.020 - 1.022 is unexpected. I think the beer is done. I don't think it made a difference when you added the extract. If you want it to end lower, you need to use a higher attenuating yeast, and/or replace some of the extract with some simple sugar.

Update:

The porter was bottled today and it's steady at 1.022 so it's done.

The IPA dropped down to 1.017 after a second week in the fermenter. I'm dry hopping it now for a week but I don't expect it to drop any further.

Both batches were brewed similarly with S-04 dry yeast. The main difference between the two batches is that I used an oxygen stone on the second batch and added some yeast nutrient.

My guess is that the IPA batch benefited from both the oxygenation and the use of light/amber malt extract instead of amber/dark extract which resulted in more fermentables. After reading on the forum it sounds like some people prefer to use light DME/LME for all extract brews while relying just on the specialty grains for color and flavor.

Back