Stuck fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpecialGreg

Reaction score
So i brewed a red ipa 2 weeks ago. Didnt have time to make a starter and its been fermenting for 2 weeks at 70 degrees starting gravity before fermentation 1.058 and its supposed to finish 1.013 but is stuck at 1.032. Help what do i do.

Which yeast did you use? Mash temp? Are you measuring with a hydrometer or refractometer?

I'm guessing this was an extract batch, not an all-grain batch? If you're using a refractometer, the final gravity reading is skewed by alcohol, so you have to use a refractometer calculator to come to the actual final gravity. If this was an extract batch and you're taking hydrometer readings (not refractometer readings), I would begin to consider purchasing another yeast packet and making a starter to add to your batch.

All grain brew. Mash temp 154 and i use a refractometer with brix on one side and gravity on the other. Calculator? Some of my other beers have finished out with the refractometer reading the correct finished gravity.

The refractive index of water and ethanol are very different, and thus using a refractomter on any liquid that contains alcohol will give you an incorrect value.

Check again with a hydrometer.

If you use a refractometer, then you need to use a calculator to correct the reading for the alcohol that is present. I've used the one from More Beer and find it is pretty easy and matches my hydrometer readings very closely.

Here is the link to the spreadsheet.

I would take a reading with a hydrometer or run your refractometer readings through a refractometer calculator and see what you get. You might be done fermenting. From what I understand, the final gravity reading with a refractometer is never accurate by itself. Just Google "refractometer calculator" and you'll find a number of them that you can use right from your browser.

Interesting. Learn something new all the time. Thanks guys. Says its done according to the calculator. 6.2%abv cant wait to come back from the desert and drink it

Latest posts

Back