Stuck Fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rthiessen

Reaction score
Just wanted some feedback from you all. I brewed two session IPA's 6 days ago. The recipes were the same amounts but different malt and hops. One is an All Day IPA clone using Wyeast 1332 NW Ale(OG of 1.042). The other is a belgian session IPA that had some belgian pale malt and used Wyeast 3522 Belgian Ardennes(OG of 1.042).

I placed both fermenters in my basement at about 66 degrees. Both airlocks rocked for the first few days, then I noticed that the NW Ale stopped. I just took gravity readings for both. The All Day IPA still has a thick krausen and is cloudy. Gravity reading is a 1.016. The Belgian is clear, no krausen and is at 1.014. Both yeast strains have the same temperature tolerance.

Seems like the All Day clone needs to finish out and could be stuck. I brought both fermenters upstairs today(70 degrees) so they could warm up a little. I am thinking that might help the yeast start up again? Will this help? Or do I need to think about adding some dry champagne yeast to finish out the All Day IPA?

Thanks,
Rob

If the recipes included extract I would say they are both likely to be done as far as gravity is concerned. As far a time in primary... Neither is done, IMO. Certainly the one with a krausen. If all grain what was the recipe and mash temperature?
The raise in temperature should restart them if there is any fermentation left to be done.
I wouldn't call anything that low a stuck fermentation, that I would leave in the above 1.025 range. I would just say it didn't reach full attenuation.
I would not use champagne yeast. If the gravity stays stable I would go ahead and bottle them. They will also benefit from a few more days or weeks of primary fermentation.

These were all-grain. The All Day IPA mash temp was lower(148ish) compared to the Belgian at 155. Could those differences have caused the krausen to not drop and the yeast not fully attenuate? Do I need to stir the krausen to help start up the yeast again?

I used yeast starters on both as well.

I need to drop the Krausen and clear up the beer so I can dry hop before kegging in a few weeks.

Thank for your help!

If you mashed at different temps you have different amounts of un-fermentable sugars in them, except that in re-reading your post it is the opposite of what I'd expect.

But 6 days isn't enough to say they are finished. Let them sit for a few more days at least. While I always think 7 days, I almost never actually transfer at 7 days, usually more like 2 weeks.

Back