Stuck fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

medic699

Reaction score
Ok, first time brewing with molasses. Used at 15 mins in the boil. From 1.065 to 1.030. Re-pitched and a week later, still 1.030. Also just realized the 2 times I used lactose, both fermentations were stuck and I couldn't get them going again. Was it the lactose or molasses? All fermentation Temps were dead on and steady throughout.

Molasses isn't your problem. It will mostly ferment away. However, lactose is unfermentable. People add it specifically to reduce fermentability and raise the FG. I mistakenly used 1 lb in a 1055 brew and it stopped around 1030. I ended up using some Wyeast 3711 (French Saison) to finish it to 1018 but it totally changed the flavor.

Now I don't understand a milk stout. I was looking for a milk stout type beer with that full mouth feel you get from lactose.

So, what was the grain bill - including the lactose and molasses?
And if this was all-grain, what was the mash temperature profile?

I agree that the molasses isn't the reason for the high FG...

Cheers!

Yup - lactose will give you a full body / mouth feel, but it doesn't ferment, thus higher FG.

I would make a starter with WLP099 High Gravity and pitch it at high krausen. Got 12 gallons right now that I just had to do that to. You could also pitch it on a yeast cake of a similar beer. Add some alpha amylase if you have any.

That OG seems too high to blame it solely on the lactose, but who knows. As others have stated, it's probably not the molasses.

How do you go about using lactose in say a generic milk stout is what I mean. Lactose was 7% of my grain bill. That seems like the normal amount. How do you go about fermenting a beer with lactose in it?

I'm guessing you use more grain to start with a higher OG when using lactose? Then, more yeast then usual to overcome the high OG and the lactose?

How do you go about using lactose in say a generic milk stout is what I mean. Lactose was 7% of my grain bill. That seems like the normal amount. How do you go about fermenting a beer with lactose in it?

Most recipes I've seen (and what I've used) is generally around a pound in 5 gallons, which is why I don't think lactose is completely to blame.

I'm guessing you use more grain to start with a higher OG when using lactose? Then, more yeast then usual to overcome the high OG and the lactose?

If you use more grain then you're asking the yeast to work even harder. What yeast did you use, and if you used liquid did you use a starter? I still say you have a yeast problem and not a lactose problem. Unless you used 3 lbs or something. How much lactose did you use?

Back