Stuck fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sweetchuck

Reaction score
I scrolled through the "stuck fermentation" threads and didn't see something that could explain this.

Brewed two batches on Memorial day. One ale, one porter. Used washed yeast from mason jars for both of them - same strain from the same batch. One pint of washed yeast per 5 gallon batch.

The ale had an OG of 1.053, the porter an OG of 1.063

Both started fermenting away within 12 hours, fairly rigorous. Then after 2 days they both crawled to a halt. I racked them both into secondary today and took gravity readings. The ale was 1.020 - I'm ok with that, it's still giving off a burp every couple of minutes, but the porter read 1.060.

Neither smelled "beery" but I tasted them and they tasted ok, no noticeable off flavors.

I warmed and pitched another pint of washed yeast into the porter and I'll check it tomorrow, I'm not sure if that was the right move but that's what I did.

It cooled off this week outside but the temp inside the house has been fairly consistent - room temperature, and I have both carboys near the center of the house.

What could have caused a good fermentation start to just die off like that so quickly?

Well first I would say a pint of washed yeast doesnt necessarily make it enough yeast for your 5 gallon batch...you would have to base it on the amount of slurry you have in the bottom of that pint.
Temperature, temperature, temperature....it will stop and/or prevent fermentation...you should assume the center of your carboy/bucket is 5 degrees warmer than you ambient temperature...so if your house is 75 degrees, it's 80 in your fermenter.
Additionally dont take steps until you are sure fermentation has stopped and that you ruled out reasons why it may have stopped...it's possible you have over pitched your beer or not.

My best advice...go buy plastic tubs (walmart has them for $5.00) put your carboy in the tub, fill with water and a water bottle that has been frozen...this should get your fermentation back on track for 8 hours, after that replace water bottle with a new frozen one. Take gravity readings, if no changes after 3 days then take action.

Good Luck, I am sure it will turn out well!

Thanks for the reply.

Here's my "do'h" moment, my first shot at using washed yeast - I didn't add the slurry, just the liquid for both of these batches. I used the slurry on the second pitch for the porter, but I might let the ale ride for now, it's still moving along at a slow but steady pace.

This was yeast washed just less than a week ago, so I'll hold off on drastic measures for now, but if things don't step up in the next day or two, I'll take measures.

Here is a great video on yeast washing: http://billybrew.com/yeast-washing

In the future, be sure to decant most of the liquid on top of your yeast...the stuff at the bottom (after its been in the fridge for a few days, and the liquid is clear) is what you want..the coldness of the refrigerator causes them to drop to the bottom and go dormant until warmed up.
So you probably underpitched on the Ale if you didnt add the slury, your Porter should be fine, but watch activity on both and take gravity readings if you see no visable signs of fermentation...in the end, a simple mistake thats easy to fix and you will still have great beer!

Happy Brewing!

I repitched yeast on both batches. The porter fired right back up, been bubbling away for the better part of over a week, just slowing down now. I racked that beer last week and I'll let it sit there in "re-secondary" for another week before I keg it. I think it will turn out fine.

The ale, nothing. Not a bubble, gravity was 1.020 when I checked it and I'll check it again tomorrow. It it hasn't moved much, I have a third batch - a brown ale that was fermenting gloriously for a week now that needs racking. I'll cake bomb that earlier ale on the yeast cake and see what happens (I'll check the gravity first).

I wanted to wash that brown ale yeast, but this is a bigger dilemma. If that doesn't work, might have to dump it, I dunno.

Sweetchuck said:
I repitched yeast on both batches. The porter fired right back up, been bubbling away for the better part of over a week, just slowing down now. I racked that beer last week and I'll let it sit there in "re-secondary" for another week before I keg it. I think it will turn out fine.

The ale, nothing. Not a bubble, gravity was 1.020 when I checked it and I'll check it again tomorrow. It it hasn't moved much, I have a third batch - a brown ale that was fermenting gloriously for a week now that needs racking. I'll cake bomb that earlier ale on the yeast cake and see what happens (I'll check the gravity first).

I wanted to wash that brown ale yeast, but this is a bigger dilemma. If that doesn't work, might have to dump it, I dunno.

With your Ale...I would rack it away from any sediment you may have in your primary, to another primary....then wash your brown ale yeast and pitch in to your other Ale...if you don't feel comfortable with yeast washing yet, you could just rack your Ale on to the yeast cake of your brown ale and not bother by washing the yeast....while using yeast cake isn't the best solution because it can contain off flavors from your prior batch along with characteristics of your prior beer, it will work and give you good beer!
Hope it works out!

With your Ale...I would rack it away from any sediment you may have in your primary, to another primary....then wash your brown ale yeast and pitch in to your other Ale...if you don't feel comfortable with yeast washing yet, you could just rack your Ale on to the yeast cake of your brown ale and not bother by washing the yeast....while using yeast cake isn't the best solution because it can contain off flavors from your prior batch along with characteristics of your prior beer, it will work and give you good beer!
Hope it works out!

Thanks for the advice, slim.

I think I'm going to do just that, but put part of that yeast cake right onto that ale and wash the rest.

There's really no sediment under that ale, it's not done anything since I racked it last week.

I'm not that concerned with blending flavors either, both batches are similar other than the bit of chocolate malt I put in the brown ale.

I'm just nervous at this point that I might be facing a dumping of this ale, but even with a high gravity, I might dry hop it to offset the sweetness and see what happens in the keg.

My mashing technique is more an art than a science now and who knows, maybe I mashed high. If it tastes lousy, at least I gave it a good college try.

Thanks again for the advice, it's greatly appreciated. That porter looks like it's going to finish well, and I'm so far happy about that.

Latest posts

Back