Stuck Fermentation... I know

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bulleitb

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I know this question has been asked thousands of times but I just want to be sure I am doing this right. I am brewing a Pilsner and I pitched a yeast starter into the wort (1.052 OG) and let it sit overnight at 65 degrees to be sure fermentation started. When I woke up in the morning the fermentation was really going, so I jumped the gun and put the fridge all the way down to 52 instead of slowly dropping the temperature. Now, naturally, my Gravity is stuck at 1.024. I have raised the temperature to 62 degrees and swirled the bucket many times to try to get it going again but I have had no luck... It won't start again. I have another thing of liquid pilsner yeast... Should I just repitch it tonight? Thanks

how long has it been in the primary??? if its been 2 weeks and youre still at .024, then you might be at full attenuation for that yeast. you can try to pitch more. the lagers take quite awhile to fully attenuate. you might just relax boss.

The gravity has not changed in 3 days and there has been zero airlock activity. Krausen has fallen. I know I'm supposed to relax but I'm pretty sure I shocked the yeast.

nah, the yeast is fine. unless you dropped the temp from 65 to 48 in one day, you havent shocked it. 65-52 is going to slow it down, but honestly, 3 days is waaaaaaaay to short a period of time to know. let is settle at 60 for 48 hours then drop it to 56, then 52 and let it ride for 10 more days. check your gravity and if youre still sitting at .024 (which you wont be) then you can pitch another vile at low temps, swirl your fermenter, then immediately rest it at 65 for 48 hours. then start to drop your temp and let it go for another 2 weeks. im sure youll be fine. oh by the way, if you have that must damn yeast in there, youre going to want an extended secondary time for clarifying and settling and youre also going to want to save that yeast for another batch. you do save your yeast right?

Latest posts

Back