Stuck ferm w/nottingham?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveNH

Reaction score
Hey all,

I've done many ciders using champagne yeast, but this is my first with Nottingham.

I used 4 gallons of apple juice with a pound of dark brown sugar. It took off but seemed to stall around 1.020. Roused the yeast and it kicked back up, dropping to 1.018 in the past week.

Sound stuck to anyone else?

I had planned to get it down to around 1.010, bottle and pasteurize to get something the neighborhood of Strongbow (my father loves it but Heineken has stopped distributing the original in favor of sweeter varieties).

My OG wasn't that high (1.055), so this just seems way too high to be finished.

About 65f ambient. I originally had it in the spare bedroom, with the heat off with ambients likely between 50-60 here in NH. I moved it when I roused the yeast.

Did you use any yeast nutrient or yeast energizer? Also like others have mentioned, what is the temp? I have had great success with Notty at 64 - 67 degrees F.

1.055 is not to high for Notty to handle, I have gone from SG of 1.085 to FG of 0.995 (11.8% ABV) with it in the past.

No yeast nutrient or energizer. Never had to in the past with the champagne yeast. It always fermented out very dry.

Might be lack of yeast nutrient or energizer. I always add yeast nutrient to my cider (DAP). Its also supposed to prevent rhino farts (sulfur). I just did a cider and went from 1.070 to 1.014 and i filtered it and back sweetened. It could easily have gone all the way dry if i had let it but i like to make mine sweet.

Back