Stuck at 1.022

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B33R

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have an oatmeal Stout that is stuck at 1.022. Been at 1.022 For a week now. Today i moved it into my bedroom which is a little bit warmer hoping its just been to cold. I used Wyeast1318 London Ale III yeast which says low temp is 64 and my closet where i was fermenting was at 65. So should i let it sit in my warmer room for a couple days and recheck. If that doesn't do the trick what could be done to fix this?

Need to post more info if you want a helpful response.

Recipe? All grain or extract? If the former, what were your mash temps? What was your OG? Did you use a starter?

All grain OG was 1.067 mashed at 152ºF for 60 minutes. Used a 1000ml starter like i do with every batch. Target final gravity was 1.017. Seeing has the FG was shooting for 1.017 could it be possible that it won't drop anymore?

BTW- similar thing was happening to me recently... could understand why it stopped at 1.020... then I double checked my cheapo hydrometer with 60 degree tap water and found that it read 1.003 ... hence I was really at 1.017.

Just $.02

5 points isn't THAT far off... esp when you're already dropped 45 points. You're in the neighborhood. I've got a porter "stuck" at 1.028, currently... it's a robust porter with an extra pound of Maltodextrine in it, so between being 4 or 5 points high because of the sugar, AND finishing a bit sweet due to being partial mash, I'm not sweating it. It doesn't taste sweet, so I'm going to bottle... :)

Rack again and rouse yeast. Careful not to oxygenate. if not low enough. Add a quart of frothy, fermenting american ale yeast made from pale extract at 1.040OG. Wait a few days. Rouse yeast every day.

If still not low enough make a frothy quart of champagne yeast and add to beer. Wait a few days. Rouse yeast every day.

If still not low enough make a frothy quart of Turbo yeast and add to beer. Wait a few days. Rouse yeast every day.

If still not low enough add 80 proof vodka.

If still not low enough throw out the beer and drink the vodka ;)

Latest posts

Back