STRONG Metallic flavors, acidic bite in all beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NYShooterGuy

Reaction score
My friend (I swear it's my friend I'm referring to and not me) has been extract brewing for almost 2 years now. He has brewed approx 15 five gallon batches. He started wih IPA'S and Stouts. They tasted fantastic. No off flavors that stood out, or even could be remembered at this point.

He had been using a 5 gallon Stainless Steel pot on the kitchen electric stove had been used for making tomato sauce over the course of 15 years prior to beer making. He had also upgraded to using an aluminum 10 gallon pot over a propane burner outside and a several batches were made with no off flavors.

He is now frustrated and reluctant to brew and dump yet another 5 gallons down the drain from his recent problem with strong metallic flavors and painful acidic bite in the last 6 batches.

I suggested re-oxidizing and passivating the SS pot with Oxalic acid from Barkeeper's Friend. He didn't allow the 1-2 weeks for the layer to return, instead went to brewing in it the day after he applied the oxalic acid.

He has used a SS spoon in both kettles, noting that the SS kettle has many deep scratches in the bottom presumably from the years of scraping (and I would assume cleaning burnt acidic tomato sauce) over the years.

Could the aluminum pot and SS spoon Galvanized each other to degraded the metal in each and allow the metal flavor leach into the wort during boil in the aluminum?

Could the oxidized layer not have had enough time to form in the SS pot because he used so quickly after using oxalic acid?

2 days prior to this post, he had finished racking off the yeast in his primary (6.5 gallon plastic bucket) an Irish Red ale kit. As an experiment, I had brewed the EXACT same kit using my equipment that has not had lent off flavors that he has been experiencing.

He saved a sample from a thief pull for me to try, and I had brough over a carbonated and cooled 12 oz bottle as a side by side comparison. (Obviously my finished product would have the advantage of being carbonated, cooled, and cleared by way of a secondary container.)

His 7 day old beer was very green, but the acid bite on the front of the tongue, and the finish on the back of metallic flavor was overpowering. Again, we didn't have the luxury of having a finished product, but I KNOW my beer from the same stage did not have this problem.

We then poured 6oz. each of my beer. The Malt smell was the first note that I smelled. It had a slight metallic taste on thw back of the tongue, but I feel like this was residual from the overpowering flavoring of his beer.

I don't want to toot my own horn, but I never tasted metal in my beers until I sampled 3 more of his finished beers. Beers that had been conditioning in keegs for up to 5 months. ALL had an overpowering acid bite on the front of the tongue a d the metal aftertaste on the back.

After drinking these beers, any beer afterwards left a metal taste on the back of my tongue, even after a few hours.

48 hours had passed and I tried another of my Irish Red that I previously tasted the metal, but was met with a Malty, smooth Irish Red with no metal taste.

What is going here?

We agreed to try an experiment of a "cheap" kit ($24.99) using my kettle and his spoon. I washed my kettle 2 weeks ago with Bar Keeper's Friend and it should have an oxidized layer. His spoon will be used as it is without any extra attention or "seasoning". We are hoping to find that the kettle is the problem, but if this kit has the same acid and metal taste, we'll be at a loss.

Other then using oxalic acid on all the SS equipment that comes in contact wih the hot wort, and allowing the 1-2 week seasoning time, but else could be giving these off flavors.

He assured me the fementation temps were steady and that the yeast had a nice happy environment with the correct number of cells. The water was bottled spring water from the supermarket, and the wort was not Infected.

For the sake of keeping one more home brewer interested in this hobby, please help us understand what might be the malfunction.

You don't really need to let a pot sit for 2 weeks before using it after cleaning with barkeeper's friend. It doesn't take long for the passivation layer to be created. I listened to the stainless steel episode of Brew Strong today and John Palmer said you can use the freshly cleaned stainless items immediately after cleaning. I believe the oxalic acid aids in creating the layer instantly.

On to your issue:

Are you guys using the exact same water? Maybe the water he is using has a high iron content that is causing the metallic flavor. Since he is brewing extract, have him try brewing the next batch with RO or distilled water and see if that helps it. Is the acidic bite vinegary? Sour? The acidity could be from an infection and you are tasting lactic or acetic acid.

This may not be helpful to the specific problem, but for goodness sake, considering brewing 1 gallon batches until you solve it!

Are you guys using the exact same water? Maybe the water he is using has a high iron content that is causing the metallic flavor. Since he is brewing extract, have him try brewing the next batch with RO or distilled water and see if that helps it. Is the acidic bite vinegary? Sour? The acidity could be from an infection and you are tasting lactic or acetic acid.

He is using spring water, I use Brita filtered tap water.
The "acidic" bite is akin to touching a 9 volt battery with your tongue.

He is also convinced that he needs to brew 5 gallon batches based on the sizes of his fermentation equipment.

You could have him brew with his water on your equipment and see if that fixes it. If not then you know it is the water. If he uses RO water on his equipment and still gets it then I would guess it is an infection (the acidic bite makes me lean towards this more anyways). He needs to bleach bomb or replace all of his plastic gear that touches the wort after the boil if it is an infection.

Carbonic acid bite is what most often comes to mind when someone describes the flavor you're talking about. I've had it happen when burst carbing a keg a couple of times. Fortunately, it fades away to nothing in 2-3 weeks. Now I usually just slow carb at 11psi for two weeks and it doesn't occur.

Carbonic acid bite is what most often comes to mind when someone describes the flavor you're talking about. I've had it happen when burst carbing a keg a couple of times. Fortunately, it fades away to nothing in 2-3 weeks. Now I usually just slow carb at 11psi for two weeks and it doesn't occur.

This was my initial thought as well but he says that it tastes metallic/acidic even before carbing which makes me think that it has to be water. Especially now that I realize he said it tasted that way after only 7 days from brew day.

Did he move houses/apartment before the problem arrived? I also suspect water, try 1 gallon batches of distilled. He can ferment right in the container he bought it in. $1 investment and half of the potential problem is narrowed down. The only other real possibility is infection in the beloved fermentation equipment.

Back