Strong Beer (US-05 or Notty)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haydn-Juby

Reaction score
I'm thinking of finally brewing up a barley wine. I was just wondering what people would say is generally a more attenuation yeast and which tolerates higher alcohol levels.

My recipe will be 85% 2-row, 10% crystal 40, 5% wheat malt, with an og of ideally 1.095~.

I'm thinking the Notty might be best as I want to give a slight ester/bready profile but I'm interested in hearing some outside opinions.

P.s Slightly boring question I know :cross:

I opted to go with Pacman for my Barley wine. At two weeks in gravity has dropped from 1.098 to 1.018. I would go with Nottingham of the two you have chosen. Just mind your fermentation temperatures.

I don't have a lot of experience with different types of yeast but I just made a barley wine with us-05 that started at 1.098 on the 30th, it's now 6 days later and the gravity is 1.016 and it's already drinkable. you could ferment at 70deg to add a few esters.

Back