Strawberries

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdlev

Reaction score
I was interested in brewing a Strawberry Saison. From what I've read about brewing with fruit - and especially strawberries - is that the fruit is primarily composed of fermentable sugars (fructose) - and so large quantities of fruit impart little to no flavor in the final product.

Well, Samuel Smith's figured out how to do it. Their Strawberry Ale is so overwhelming with Strawberries in the nose and in the flavor that it almost exceeds the BJCP's guidelines on what a fruit ale should be. :drunk:

Now I want to go natural on this. So no artificial flavoring junk. The only thing I can think of to get as much strawberry flavor into this saison as possible is to complete get rid of the yeast. The only way I can think to do that 'naturally' is to rack it off the yeast. Once its off the yeast, filter it from a 5 micron down to a 1 micron filter. If memory serves me correctly, the yeast are 2 microns in size, so that should pull off all the yeast.

If worse comes to worse, I suppose I can add some of those tablets (I forget their name), that people use to kill most of the microbes in cider before they add the yeast?

For the fruit, I was planning on freezing the strawberries (since that imparts more flavor by causing the cell walls to burst). I was also planning on over rippening the strawberries as that seems to give them a sweeter, less bitter character.

I haven't brewed a whole lot with fruit, so any tips you guys can give me on maximizing their flavor while minimizing their quantities is appreciated.

I can't help you with the quantities of fruit to use but I'm subscribing to this thread as I also am interested in the best qty of the fruit:wort ratio. I have never brewed with fruit (yet) but I have seen it done by heating the fruit in a half gallon of water or so and smashing the fruit until it got to 160 degrees. Then immediately cool and add the the primary along with your top-off water. Here is an episode of Brewing TV where they do it: http://www.northernbrewer.com/connect/episode/brewing-tv-episode-29-clemifornia-dreaming/

I had another thought on the beer. After you ferment, couldn't you just boil the beer again and rack to a secondary with the strawberries...or just put the beer and your berries in the boil kettle.

I know alcohol has a lower boiling point than the beer as a whole, so you'll likely lose some ABV, but this might be an easy way to really get the flavor of the berries to stick around? I'd say boil it for maybe 10 minutes, and you'd kill off any leftover yeast and microbes?

I've never done strawberries, but I breweda raspberry wheat beerlast summer. I used 3.5 pounds of raspberry pured in a 5 gallon batch. Worked great. I just dumped it right into the secondary and racked ontop of it.

I did a strawberry blonde a couple of months ago. I added 6 lbs whole, frozen berries to wort after flameout and temp dropped to 170F (Hot enough to sanitize the berries, but not enough to develop the pectin). A friend added hers in secondary. The strawberries did ferment and don't taste like fresh, ripe strawberries. You do get strawberries in the aroma and the flavor is obvious, but not overpowering. Early on, I thought it was going to be nasty...fermenting strawberries were NOT a flavor I was too thrilled with. But it improved and is actually pretty good now. You could go 8 lbs on the amount and in secondary it would not ferment as much, but would the flavor come out? Also, if you filter out the yeast...same question. What is going to pull out the strawberry flavor if you don't let the yeast ferment it? best of luck! Oh...Get a nylon mesh bag for the berries...it will make racking a LOT easier. (I didn't use one; wish I had.) And keep in mind how much volume the amount of strawberries you use are going to take up in your fermentation containers!

IMAG2660.jpg

I made a strawberry saison last June and was quite happy with how it turned out. I lightly crushed, froze, and then pasteurized the berries, then racked on top of them into secondary. There was a distinct strawberry aroma and a pleasant tartness, but the 3711 I used left a refreshingly dry taste. It was about 1lb/gal.

Oh, and make sure you have plenty of headspace and/or a big blow-off tube, your yeast will go nuts with all that sugar at once!

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/strawberry-saison-recipe-help-416172/

Back