Strange Taste w/Pilsner Malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jnacey

Reaction score
I've been having an issue with my beers that utilize large portion of pilsner malt (both german and belgian, both from multiple suppliers). Most of the beers that have pilsner come across with an off taste in the middle, with an overwhelming finish of cracker/saltine. The taste in the middle can be characterized as a bright, harsh taste. I do 90 minute boils to try to get the DMS off. I do, however, keep my kettle lid on while chilling. I know DMS usually is described as a cream corn taste -- I'm not getting that taste. Almost more of a light medicinal taste. This doesn't happen in my other beers that utilize 2-row, maris otter, etc.

Some of my details: BIAB all-grain, 90 minute boil, kettle lid on while chilling, happens in light beers utilizing pilsner, occurs whether using german or belgian yeasts, multiple suppliers.

Anybody have any ideas what's causing this?

Maybe it's because these are light beers and there's nothing to hide the off flavor? It could be a water issue. I'm always questioning why my helles never turns out like Weihenstephaner or Spaten or the like. Then I remember that their beers are most likely not fresh when we consume them, they use different malts, yeast, maybe hops, and water source. Also, different fermentation conditions, practices, etc.

Chlorine or its derivatives are said to cause medicinal off flavirs sometimes. Masbe that could be the issue?

All good suggestions. When I try to chase down my own off-flavors, I usually visit Palmer's guide to off-flavors and run down the list. Usually, one or two items will jump out to me, and I'll investigate from there.

With the lighter beers, Beersk was right .. no place to hide. Also, with light beers, pH of your mash becomes more difficult if your water is naturally high in pH (like mine at 8.1pH). If you are not treating your water to find a good pH (5.2-5.6), you can throw some off flavors. Same is true if you sparge your grains with high pH water.

Chlorine in the water can also react with the phenols in the german/belgian yeasts, and create some of the medicine flavors..

Good luck!
--LexusChris

Thanks for the replies. I'll check out palmers page. I do crush a campden tablet in of my brews and I use bru'n water spreadsheet to estimate pH into the appropriate range (however I generally don't test it).

Could this be a diacetyl issue? Palmers page says a "buttery" smell/taste. I suppose that is a fairly accurate description of what I'm getting.

If it was a lager, it could be diacetyl. It smells like butterscotch in stronger doses. But like most flavors/aromas, they "smell like" something, not exactly that something. So the creamed corn thing, is just a description. It doesn't mean it's the same thing. Since it's pilsner malt, it could very well be DMS. Perhaps you didn't boil long enough or vigorous enough or chill the wort down fast enough.

Back