Strange taps, vintage gear...what is this stuff?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ILMSTMF

Reaction score
Wasn't sure where to post this. Hope someone can identify what this gear is we found. Deceased friend, his wife tells us these were "used for beer".

There are four distinct pieces and one little adapter branch thingie. Each appears to have a faucet. Any use in modern systems? These worth anything?! :p :D

IMG_7040.jpg

IMG_7041.jpg

IMG_7042.jpg

IMG_7043.jpg

Hand pumps for keg dispense. Not sure what type tho'. Also not sure what the hosed assembly is for as it is missing too many parts for a keg tap. Possible they could have used a bung to seal up around the spear but not sure how they pushed the beer.

Value is in the eye of the beholder. Not worth anything to me, but could be worth something to someone.

Those are "Beer Oxidizers" - aka party taps. The beer is pushed with the air pump.
I'd avoid ever using one of those unless you have a keg you want to kill...

Cheers!

Those are "Beer Oxidizers" - aka party taps. The beer is pushed with the air pump.
I'd avoid ever using one of those unless you have a keg you want to kill...

Cheers!

haha, yup! Kind of had that feeling, looking at those hand pumps. Ahhh well. Maybe a collector wants em. Otherwise, scrap metal!

The faucets themselves may be usable, as it looks like they come off the ends with a regular faucet wrench.

Looks like party pumps for kegs that may pre-date that old Hoff-Stevens style. Maybe? Just taking a guess...

If those are stainless dip tubes, you can,always cut them off and hold on to them. Could come in handy for a build down the line. Stainless tubing is always in demand, especially right after you throw it away. :ban:

Under the "wing nut", is there a flexible / expandable donut?

Looks as though they could be used on a "cask", where you knock out the plug, and insert the expandable donut.

Would save taking a beer shower, ( I've seen!),where the plug is usually knocked out below the level of the beer, ( read: 6 o'clock position), and a tap or valve installed for pouring.

This could be on top of the cask, insert 'til the dip tube hits, and draw it back an inch and secure.

As small as the usual cask is, the contents would probably be gone quick enough, to allay any fears of oxidation by the hand pump.

Under the "wing nut", is there a flexible / expandable donut?

Looks as though they could be used on a "cask", where you knock out the plug, and insert the expandable donut.

Would save taking a beer shower, ( I've seen!),where the plug is usually knocked out below the level of the beer, ( read: 6 o'clock position), and a tap or valve installed for pouring.

This could be on top of the cask, insert 'til the dip tube hits, and draw it back an inch and secure.

As small as the usual cask is, the contents would probably be gone quick enough, to allay any fears of oxidation by the hand pump.

Will check tonight and report back. I like k1ngl1ves' idea of cutting off the dip tubes. Before I do that, anyone want these as is?

The pump one looks like an older version of what we used when I was in college. Early seventies. You pumped air into the commercial keg to force the beer out. You did have to finish off the keg quickly. At most a few days..... The other style was gravity, you opened a vent at the top and poured the beer from the bottom. The same... Drink the whole thing in a few days.

The picnic tap setup looks like part of a similar system. It would be inserted in a keg or cask and would need air or co2 to push the beer out.

Well, most of it has gone to scrap. Some of it was stainless but much more of it was brass. I was able to pull three of the "dip tubes" out before scrapping the rest. Not sure what I'll ever do with them, if anything.
Before scrapping, I noticed that Ballantine and Tap Rite (Hackensack NJ) were emblazoned on some of the parts. I doubt I recycled gold, oh well. Thanks folks.

Back