Strange smack pack situation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonBrew

Reaction score
So I got a wyeast Scottish ale smack pack recently. I got the yeast discounted as it was just on the verge of the best before date. When the pack arrived it was perfectly intact and not in any way inflated. I put it the fridge which has been at about 8 degrees C the whole time. I've been going in and out of the fridge periodically over the last month since receiving the pack and, although I hadn't been inspecting the pack, I handn't noticed any changes in its shape.

Then, this evening, i've looked in the fridge and the pack is fully inflated!

I'm wondering how the hell this happened whilst it's been in the fridge all this time!? Could it be that it was activated just as I got it and it got going slowly due to temps whilst in the fridge?

Also, i'm wondering if the yeast will now be OK? My guess is it will be but just thought i'd get opinions from the community.

Cheers

My recommendation would be to make a starter with the yeast. If it smells/tastes/looks normal then I wouldn't worry about it. I've done the same with yeast that is months past its date and it has still been perfectly fine.

It's near the end of it's date, and it's a liquid yeast, so a starter was pretty much required anyways.

I've left inflated packs in my fridge for a few months with no issue. I expect the same for you.

:mug:

Latest posts

Back