Strange growth on plate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Budzu

Reaction score
I haven't experienced any unknown growths on my plates until now. Now I'm very curious. Is the red color a give-away as to what this is? Wild yeast? Bacteria? This came from a sample of white labs' 002. It is only 4 days old at the time of the photo, so the unknown organism is as active in beer as beer yeast is. I have taken some of the colonies and started a fermentation.
strange_growth.JPG

It looks like you picked it up on your last streak of the plate. It really isn't seen in anything but what I think was your fourth streak. That makes me believe it's contamination but not from the culture itself. I would think if it was in the White Labs culture it would be seen in all streaks. Perhaps I have the wrong idea on your plating technique.
What it is I have no idea but they appear to be small colonies so possibly a wild yeast(?)

The technique is that I take one sample, and streak 3 times on 2 plates, without any re-innoculation. This was the 2nd and final plate, and I admit I cannot tell which of the 3 streaks it was.

BTW the entire first plate is ok. So yeah Scut, quite possibly picked it out of the air while plating. Still curious as to what it is :confused: It's very happy to have found beer :rockin:

Edit: Disclaimerer! This is in no way related to a white labs vial. This was transferred several times, sat around, and was acquired from a buddy's starter.

Back